• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PCV valve question.

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
My motor home 440 is running pretty good, no oil leaks, vacuum is 13.5 at 900 rpm idle.
I got a new PCV valve from napa for a 440 when I was putting this together, its the small dia base one for a stock valve cover.

This thing whistles at idle, after 1/2 can of brake clean trying to track down { the noise } I pulled the hose of the PCV plugged it with my finger and no more whistle.
So can anyone tell me what size / number valve I can use that will not whistle ?
The engine is stock bottom end and heads, comp XE 262 H cam and lifters 462/470 lift and 218/224 duration at 50% ,
I didn't know if the cam and 13.5 vacuum at idle was what was causing this ?

I use this. It's expensive but it's a great piece. Takes a 3/4 id grommet
http://mewagner.com/?p=444
Same one I got that resolved oil blowing out of my valve cover breather. TUNEABLE and that allows for several performance enhancements. Amazing engineering, quality, materials, and tech support. Getting one for my wife's modified 421 TriPower GTO.
:lowdown: M/E Wagner PCV valve
Screenshot_20180615-095700_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
My motor home 440 is running pretty good, no oil leaks, vacuum is 13.5 at 900 rpm idle.
I got a new PCV valve from napa for a 440 when I was putting this together, its the small dia base one for a stock valve cover.

This thing whistles at idle, after 1/2 can of brake clean trying to track down { the noise } I pulled the hose of the PCV plugged it with my finger and no more whistle.
So can anyone tell me what size / number valve I can use that will not whistle ?
The engine is stock bottom end and heads, comp XE 262 H cam and lifters 462/470 lift and 218/224 duration at 50% ,
I didn't know if the cam and 13.5 vacuum at idle was what was causing this ?

I recently replaced mine. Not sure of the part number, just brought the old one with me to the parts store and found one that looked just like it. Works perfectly. I went so far as to make a small catch can out of a air compressor water separator. That works brilliantly as well.

Same one I got that resolved oil blowing out of my valve cover breather. TUNEABLE and that allows for several performance enhancements. Amazing engineering, quality, materials, and tech support. Getting one for my wife's modified 421 TriPower GTO.
:lowdown: M/E Wagner PCV valve
View attachment 616608
My cam has very low vacuum so I needed something that would work with that, this worked perfect and you don't have to guess if you have the right valve for your engine since you tune it yourself

I have to the best of my knowledge and the opinions of others a 292°/.509 can and I get around 12" of Hg at 950 RPMs.
I can't praise the M/E Wagner PCV valve enough!

I have to the best of my knowledge and the opinions of others a 292°/.509 can and I get around 12" of Hg at 950 RPMs.
I can't praise the M/E Wagner PCV valve enough!
Yeah, I have the old purple cam 284/484 and the best I can get is 9"

I don't mean to send the thread in another direction, but to the OP... For that mild 440 I'm surprised your vacuum is that low at idle. And is that in gear, or neutral? I'm sure you have a low stall converter, but at 900 RPM...vacuum seems low (a little). My 440 has a 230° @ .050 cam and I get 15-ish in gear at 700rpm. (my vacuum was slightly lower until I ran a can of seafoam through it). My opinion only but before spending the hundred+ bucks on the nice pcv valve, go to your local parts store and tell them you need one for, say a 69 GTX with a 440, (or any car that had a high-performance 440 from the factory) and see what they have

I don't mean to send the thread in another direction, but to the OP... For that mild 440 I'm surprised your vacuum is that low at idle. And is that in gear, or neutral? I'm sure you have a low stall converter, but at 900 RPM...vacuum seems low (a little). My 440 has a 230° @ .050 cam and I get 15-ish in gear at 700rpm. (my vacuum was slightly lower until I ran a can of seafoam through it). My opinion only but before spending the hundred+ bucks on the nice pcv valve, go to your local parts store and tell them you need one for, say a 69 GTX with a 440, (or any car that had a high-performance 440 from the factory) and see what they have

I had thought the vacuum would be a little higher also. Could be my china vac gauge as well.
It does seem to hold pretty steady , that 13.5 is at 900rpm idle in park.

I will head to napa and see if they have a pcv for a high pref 440 in stock. If not I will check into the adjustable ones, Thanks guys. I have to do something this thing sounds funny as hell. :lol:

I had thought the vacuum would be a little higher also. Could be my china vac gauge as well.
It does seem to hold pretty steady , that 13.5 is at 900rpm idle in park.

I will head to napa and see if they have a pcv for a high pref 440 in stock. If not I will check into the adjustable ones, Thanks guys. I have to do something this thing sounds funny as hell. :lol:
Steady vacuum is always a good thing...

Auto Transport Service
Back