• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

People crack me up

pearljam724

Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
I felt like sharing this. A lot of you may have experienced something similar.
On a drive today. I pull up to a stop light. It was not a typical 4 way intersection. As I’m sitting there, a guy that appeared to be his late 50’s/ early 60’s approaches me from the other direction in a tow truck. He stops at a yielded stop. He’s practically sitting a couple lanes over from me. But, we are nearly side by side from a distance at this point. My window is down, he’s yelling from that distance and is holding up traffic behind him for nearly a couple minutes. With no regard of anyone behind him. He yells, “ Hey, if you ever want to sell that car you let me know, you hear me ? “ Trying to convince me just how serious he was with a quick personal car story as he points down at the company advertisement on the side of his door and believed to be his personal auto shop, etc. As in, give me a call.
I looked him into the eyes, wasted no time and simply yelled, “ It’s for sale” His eyes got big and asks, “ how much ? “ I yelled back my reasonable price considering all things and in his response he nearly choked to death saying, “ Nah, I ain’t got that kind of money” What was he expecting me to say ? Yeah, I ll take 10-20 grand for it ? His reaction to my price was incredibly hilarious. As if he thought, it was 1979 and these cars were selling for several grand in restored show condition.

Last edited:
I had a person stop once when my Superbird was sitting outside. I had to tell his kid to keep his hands off, and his old man said if he messes it up I will just buy it. I told him OK, it's 185K. He says I don't want to buy the whole damn place. I told him no that's just the car, and you are trespassing, goodbye now before you have to buy something. Didn't crack me up at all.

I had a person stop once when my Superbird was sitting outside. I had to tell his kid to keep his hands off, and his old man said if he messes it up I will just buy it. I told him OK, it's 185K. He says I don't want to buy the whole damn place. I told him no that's just the car, and you are trespassing, goodbye now before you have to buy something. Didn't crack me up at all.
Can’t blame you. Kids, around these cars make me extremely nervous. I try to be understanding that they are kids. But, it’s some of these parents faults not caring enough to keep them in check considering the circumstances. Sometimes, as a car owner you might have to say something to a kid. Because, some of these parents won’t. Most people keep their kids in check though. But, there’s always a few. That father’s response was very ignorant and irresponsible, you explained. I would have told him to take a hike, too.

At a car show once I witnessed a kid drop his entire hot dog into a zoomie header pipe. His mom saw it happen ... and quickly tried ushering him away without saying anything to the guy.

Being me, I stepped in front of both of them and pretty much had to shame her into owning up. "REALLY??? You're just going to walk away after that?"

The owner's attention immediately focused on me. "After WHAT?"

Pointing, "Look in your header pipe."

Luckily he had a pair of long needle nose in his tool box. By the time he fished out the weiner the mom and her brat were nowhere to be seen.

People suck.

Would've been cool to tell mom to stand in front of the pipe and tell the guy "Start it up".

At a car show once I witnessed a kid drop his entire hot dog into a zoomie header pipe. His mom saw it happen ... and quickly tried ushering him away without saying anything to the guy.

Being me, I stepped in front of both of them and pretty much had to shame her into owning up. "REALLY??? You're just going to walk away after that?"

The owner's attention immediately focused on me. "After WHAT?"

Pointing, "Look in your header pipe."

Luckily he had a pair of long needle nose in his tool box. By the time he fished out the weiner the mom and her brat were nowhere to be seen.

People suck.

Good for you !!

I live in a semi rural area but it is very close to town and I have a gate across my driveway, unfortunately my shop faces the road; so one day last summer i am in the shop finishing up my Cuda (lime green) and I see a SUV sitting at my gate and the guy inside waving at me. So I walk up to the gate and as I get there the guy inside the truck immediately starts trying to introduce himself as he is showing me a bible explaining that he is a "good guy". Anyway, he had seen the Cuda and was looking for cars to flip. He asks if I will sell and I said "everything has a price"; he got kind of excited and said how much to which I said $45K might do it.... he said "oh I can't pay that, what else do you have?" I said, well I have a 70 Challenger, that would be $40K, I could sell my 70 RR roller but I need at least $8K without the Hemi, or I could sell you my 52 B3B pickup with its 56 Desoto Hemi for $15K. He said "I can't make any money on any of those" to which I replied "not my problem, now get off my property".

Like you guys, get the usual "watcha want for it" at car shows. Not for sale usually sends them on their way. One show, a major Mopar show on west coast, well heeled guy trailing some posse looks it over and says "how much". Doesn't accept my response and announces "EVERYTHING is for sale". Not this one. He persists. "Tell me how much cash will buy it today." So I give him a healthy 6 figure number. He turns to the posse and says we'll back back with the cash.
Sure. Fortunately these morons are usually the minority at shows. Most folks are pretty respectful of the merchandise.

Yeah car shows bring out all sorts for sure. Years ago (like around 1980) a friend and I put our Challengers in a World Of Wheels car show which required moving into the building on Friday evening. While we were setting up there was all of this commotion near the big roll up door where the cars entered, there was this guy yelling at the show promoter saying that his car was far nicer than anything in the building and he was pissed that they would not let him in (he never submitted the required form, pictures and fee)... anyway after awhile I suppose the promoter just got tired of it and told to pay the fee and bring the car in but he needed to do it immediately because they had to shut the door and close the place down in the next 15 minutes.

So, 10 minutes later in comes this rumbling and completely jerry rigged POS mid 70's gold Nova with "Wild Thing" hand painted on the trunk, was a complete turd. Evidently the promoter had left or was busy because that pile sat there all weekend in the midst of some really nice cars. On Sunday when they gave out the awards, the Nova guy was highly pissed and very loud about not winning anything.... Finally it was some of the other car owners who finally hammered him and told what a pile his car was, so he and his 280lb GF left all pissed off, tried to do a burn out but couldn't... LOL

Like you guys, get the usual "watcha want for it" at car shows. Not for sale usually sends them on their way. One show, a major Mopar show on west coast, well heeled guy trailing some posse looks it over and says "how much". Doesn't accept my response and announces "EVERYTHING is for sale". Not this one. He persists. "Tell me how much cash will buy it today." So I give him a healthy 6 figure number. He turns to the posse and says we'll back back with the cash.
Sure. Fortunately these morons are usually the minority at shows. Most folks are pretty respectful of the merchandise.
Did he come back with the "cash"? All talk and no cash?

Doesn't accept my response and announces "EVERYTHING is for sale". Not this one. He persists. "Tell me how much cash will buy it today." So I give him a healthy 6 figure number.

Witnessed my friend's father do that years ago -- he saw a 1969 GT350 mustang - beautiful car and he asked the owner how much he would like to sell it for... owner said not for sale... "everything has a price" -- well he gave a relatively high price for the car - father said "deal" - but difference is he had a bag full of money and pulled out cash and ended up with the car... crazy things happen sometimes

A lot of these types play games because they find themselves entertaining. It’s kind of like meeting a guy that finds himself hilarious or finds his own behavior to be cute or entertaining. Most of these types don’t have the money to begin with. People that don’t play games, don’t say stupid ****. When people want something, they make a reasonable offer. They aren’t delusional. When people honestly want something, they realize these cars aren’t cheap or even reasonably priced for that matter.

Witnessed my friend's father do that years ago -- he saw a 1969 GT350 mustang - beautiful car and he asked the owner how much he would like to sell it for... owner said not for sale... "everything has a price" -- well he gave a relatively high price for the car - father said "deal" - but difference is he had a bag full of money and pulled out cash and ended up with the car... crazy things happen sometimes
Good story. Very satisfying exchanging a large amount of money. Feels good reaching an agreement on either end. Especially, when you can honestly say you’ve worked for it and nobody gave you anything.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back