• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

People that I don't like

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
1 facepalm 1.JPG

It has taken me many years but I am getting better at spotting and dealing with people that I don't like.
For the record, I like MOST people.
Race, Color, religion and sexual orientation different than mine don't bother me.
Here is what does.....
People that only call when they need something.
People that monopolize the conversation.
People that leave me feeling like I'm fighting for airtime, as if I have to actively fight to get a word in.
There are a LOT of people that are either completely ignorant of proper manners or are just outright rude. I am obnoxious but I'll listen to what you have to say. Many people do not.
For example:
A guy I've known for maybe 12 years had moved away almost 2 years ago. I bought the "Jigsaw" Charger from him before he left. He moved out of state and calls occasionally.
Never has this guy seemed interested in asking questions or listening to what I have to say when he calls. It is always what he did, what he thinks, what he wants to do and so forth.
When I get a chance to speak, he drifts off, loses interest, hums or sighs....
I have realized that I have a rapidly diminishing tolerance for him and others like him.
I see guys at car shows like him.
My car this....My car that, etc.
I will not tolerate this anymore.
It isn't as if I want to be the only one talking....I just want a fair exchange. A conversation, not a speaker and an audience.
People need to know that their life is not the most interesting thing to other people.
I try to ask opinions, ask about the person's spouse, their kids, job, etc.
Unfortunately, some of these ignorant jerks see that as an excuse to just talk MORE instead of taking the cue and reciprocating.
No, please...tell me MORE about YOU.

1 scooby.jpg

I'm putting the word out to people that I know, most of whom are considerate and good people. Maybe they will pass it along.
I will not tolerate inconsiderate people. I will call them on their bad actions until they change or decide to not talk to me anymore.

If they disappear from my life, no big loss to me.
What about you? Have you reached the point where you are LESS tolerant of people like this?

Let me tell you what I did today.....LOL... BTW Hope Y'all have fun tomorrow...

I get what you're saying but some people monopolize the conversation without realizing it. Some people are just Yappers, and they feel like there's a lot of ground to cover in a short time so they just yap and yap. Never does it occur to them that they are being selfish because quite contrary they are sharing with you as much as they can in a very limited time.

I think every person and situation is different but I'm just saying a benefit of the doubt might be in order for some because some people have some bad habits ( no arguing there) but they may not be doing it deliberately nor maliciously and if it is brought to their attention, the habit may stop.

We know a few people like that. I always ask my wife after one of her friends calls "How did you go listening to Carol?". We have a laugh about it. We call it "doing a Carol", which is switching whatever subject you brought up onto themselves. You're excited to tell them you bought a new couch and in 3 seconds you are listening to them tell you about their new couch. Yours will never be mentioned again. People are so self absorbed.
I hate it when I'm talking to someone and their cellphone rings and they take the call and expect me to wait there for 5 or 10 mins while they talk. If they say to me first "I need to take this call, do you mind?", then that's fine, but if they just answer, as if the caller is somehow more important than the person they are talking to face to face, i.e. me, then I don't accept it and just walk off.
It's just being courteous to others, a value many have forgotten.

I also dislike people who 'big note' themselves. Everything is about how great they are and their magnificent achievements. **** that, conversation is about sharing both your thoughts and stories and theirs. I'm with you Greg, no tolerance from me with these people either.

Maybe it's because they see something in
you they wish they had, and are waiting
for the lessons they never received. I never
discount anyone, just as I hope no one
discounts me.
"I'm not on this earth to live up to your
expectations, just as you're not here to live
up to mine".
I've got smart friends, I've got dumb friends,
I 've got arrogant friends, and I've got humble
friends. But they are friends. And I wouldn't
give up on a single one of them.
It sounds to me, that you're just runnin'
a little short on patience.
Definitely not saying everyone you meet is your
friend.

Last edited:
I also dislike people who 'big note' themselves.
I know a couple of people like that up this way. :rolleyes:

One guy is a salesman, sits behind a desk for part of the day, and the remainder wandering around his yard. Because he has so much free time on his hands, he goes through his phone list and calls people up for a chat. All this while the people he is calling are usually at work, and shouldn't really be wasting time for a chat about personal stuff.

It has got so bad that a few of us have started calling him 'Havachat'. Even worse, he has the exact same conversation with a whole host of other people.....I know this because usually one of them calls me afterwards to tell me about what he said.

It's usually hard to have a proper two-way conversation with him....it usually ends up always going his way. I know when I talk with him, I get a lot of hmmm, and ahhh.....and then cut right back to 'him' :jackoff: And I know he's not listening to, or comprehending what I have to say.....I can see his eyes wandering off elsewhere.

So far I have ignored his last 3 phone calls to me. And I always answer my phone if I hear it ring. :D

The other guy in particular just gets louder when talking, and he seems to be able to drain any willingness to continue a two-way conversation. I find it easier to just ease out of it and walk away. I get sick and tired of being talked over.

Last edited:
My younger sister is that way. Her idea of a conversation is "me, me, me" & she rarely listens to what I have to say when it's my turn to talk. As such, I have found that it's better to communicate with her as little as possible.

My wife calls them "toppers".
I've only met one myself.
At least just one since she pointed the personality type out to me and I've noticed it.

Great movie lines.

That scene in Saving Private Ryan.
The soldier wants to quit and starts to leave.
The sergeant pulls his gun on him.:
The soldier:"Oh, you are going to shoot me because I'm leaving?"
The sergeant: "No, I'm going to shoot you because I don't like you".

That scene in Black And White during the trial.
The lawyer: "Do you dislike black people".
Kevin Costner: "Not all of them".

A vast majority of people I meet at larger mopar shows are good people. I recently lucked out and had the pleasure of parking next to someone who not only thought I needed assistance backing the car into my space (after 35 years without a scratch) while his wife was right there watching that I didn't get too close to their car in the process, then told me I'm setting my ez-up the wrong way. Next day I gave him the benefit of the doubt and tried to have a nice conversation. He proceeds to tell me about every car he's owned and how perfect they were. Then decides to lecture me on what the proper terminology is for the color of my own car. When I was able to get more than 3 words in sideways about his car, you guessed it, the "R/T" was a pieced together 318 clone in a custom color. Maybe it was meant to happen because I had a much better time hanging out with everyone at the FBBO tent.:thumbsup:

Alot of people these days suffer from "self absorption".
It really isn't that hard to shut up and "listen" once in awhile.

One of my closest friends has become that way. He has bad health issues and is now disabled with a lot of time with nothing to do. When we talk, it has become mostly about how bad he feels, what drugs he is now taking, and how bad his doctors suck. And into all the damn details! As I told my wife, he no longer talks TO you, but he talks AT you... (He don't do much listening) I put up with it due to our close friendship for the last 45 years.

My pal Rick is like that when we get in the truck to go somewhere. He hates dead air space. HAS to fill it. My wife and I always say that if you want to know everything that's happening around the area just speak to Rick....he's a news broadcaster. My next oldest brother is another one who has to dominate the convo. His stories are always better, and somehow cooler than yours....

Some people are what I call a "wear out". They wear you out just listening to them. My youngest get's into detail when he explains something. My analogy is "if you ask what time it is he will tell you how to build a watch". (I think he get's it from his dad) LOL What a kid.

I also dislike people who 'big note' themselves. Everything is about how great they are and their magnificent achievements. **** that, conversation is about sharing both your thoughts and stories and theirs. I'm with you Greg, no tolerance from me with these people either.

And why is it idiots like this so often become managers? I had to deal with one for almost three years, It was never what 'we' did, it was all about what 'he' did. For all the *** bustin' I did while he was in charge all he could say about me years later was that I would show up to work on time. He literally could not give one example of my actual work. :up:

I am so old I know few people want to hear anythng I have to say, so I ask them questions about whatever and let them talk. Especially those younger than me, and at 73 most everyone is younger than me.
After all anything I learned i college is not outdated an ancient, and what all I learned in he last 73 years is irrelivant!:thumbsup::confederateflag::lol::popcorn::realcrazy::rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back