• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Performer RPM - Enough Hood Clearance 69 GTX?

68Charger440HP

Local time
1:24 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a Performer RPM manifold will fit under a stock hood of a 69 GTX? It is a 440 and non-air grabber hood.

Thanks

May have to put a scoop on the hood. That would not look bad either.

Coronet with the R/T \ Super Bee Bulge hood is really close.. I think the Road Runner/GTX hood is slightly lower so I'm gonna guess it won't fit with a stock air cleaner...

In the quest for a stock appearing engine... "What intake is that??" It's got no logos, it doesn't have that funky mounting boss like a Performer RPM... "What is it?"

Yup a little cutting grinding & texturing to make it look un-altered... Once it's painted Turquoise it'll be somewhat stealthy...

IMG_0080.JPG

Vs a new Performer RPM...

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 8.34.58 PM.png

The top of a holly carb will be close to the hood without an air filter.
I think a low profile cleaner might fit, but don't know how close the filter lid will be the the fuel bowl vents which could mess with the tuning?
When I had the RPM on the 440 stroked to 505 in the '69 Coronet, I put a hood scoop on the hood.
With a drop base filter and 3" filter element (I think that was the height?) the filter top was slightly above the hood cutout for the scoop

The top of a holly carb will be close to the hood without an air filter.
I think a low profile cleaner might fit, but don't know how close the filter lid will be the the fuel bowl vents which could mess with the tuning?
When I had the RPM on the 440 stroked to 505 in the '69 Coronet, I put a hood scoop on the hood.
With a drop base filter and 3" filter element (I think that was the height?) the filter top was slightly above the hood cutout for the scoop

Dennis H ran a Performer RPM with the stock air cleaner under his bulge hood for years... I looked at it pretty thoroughly cause it's what I plan to run on my Coronet...

This is a recurring question, seems like. I know it's been hashed out many a time on here,
measurements and all.
I'd suggest utilizing this site's "secret weapon" - the SEARCH box!
search box.png

A Performer RPM is 1 15/16" taller than a factory cast manifold. So no, it won't work with your stock air cleaner.
It will fit with an aftermarket parts though. I have used a Holley 1.25" drop base, K&N E-3740 2 5/16" element, and a K&N open top (just for more airflow). If I remember correctly, that will give you 3/4 or 7/8" space between the lid and bottom of hood. That is with a 1/4" base gasket as well.

Last edited:
Performer RPM and an Edelbrock 750 fit fine on my '69 Road Runner with a 383. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 383 and the 440 are basically the same.

Road Runner 2   383 Motor.JPG

Performer RPM and an Edelbrock 750 fit fine on my '69 Road Runner with a 383. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 383 and the 440 are basically the same.

View attachment 1102250
Not the same. A 440 RB block is taller than a 383 B block. That's one reason I like the 400 strokers over a 440, more hood clearance.

I did not modify base plate. My air filter element is 2 5/8" tall
Maybe that is shorter than factory, ldk.

Yes - If you use a drop base air cleaner and maybe even a shorter element -

I have this set up but in a B motor which has 3/4” less deck height than the 440. I can use the stock Mopar performance unsilenced air cleaner & base, which in not a drop base in design, and also have to use a 2.25” tall filter in order to give the air cleaner enough hood clearance. This combo gives me 5/8” clearance at the tightest spot which is at the back of the hood where the curved cut is part of the design. The filter is a wix, don’t have the part number but if you look up a common Mercedes air filter that is the one. 13” x 2.25”. The stock filter height is 2.75” for your reference.

So: 440 engine is 3/4” taller than mine, and the drop base air cleaner will drop it about an inch, therefore those two elements cancel each out. Then you are left in a similar scenario to me. You will need to source a 13” drop base, I think Mancini has them if not pro-form makes them for Ford applications but you’ll have to buy the whole air cleaner and toss out the lid.

Hope this helps you.

3388D41B-CD13-431B-9288-DF14EAFC2EC7.jpeg

If you are leaving yourself 1/2" of clearance, and are using factory-style rubber motor mounts, I would suggest considering a retaining device or solid mount on the driver side.

Auto Transport Service
Back