• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Period Correct Tachometer for my 69 Dodge RT Coronet

Xtro

Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score
i have the non rallye cluster that has the blank space at the end of the gauges for a clock or tachometer. If I opted for a stand alone tachometer does anybody know what was aavailable for that era or which were the most preferred ones to use

Sun Super Tach or a Mopar Performance

I believe the sun super tach was available in 1966, along with other models, here is an ad from then.
sunadv.jpg

I think you may be able to get the sun super tach still as a reproduction,
but not certain on that, but anyway, here is one,
Tach-2.jpg

Yes, the Sun Super Tach was the hot ticket back in the late 60's and early 70's

Back then, Stewart Warner was another popular name. Most guys used S/W gauges and a Sun tach. STEWART Warner didn't have much style though.
. Moroso was the popular one for the racers. They had cable drives with large diameter faces. When they came outwith the "telltale" needle to mark max. Rpm that was the ****! I don't know if Auto Meter was even around then.

image.png
Don't forget to strap it to the column with a rusty hose clamp.

They still make them, and the new ones look similar... so you have a choice

Modern...
IMG_5350.JPG

Vintage...
IMG_5351.JPG

Here's a ad from a parts store I managed back in the 70's. Looks like this is 75.
Capture esco.PNG

I believe the sun super tach was available in 1966, along with other models, here is an ad from then.View attachment 440457

I think you may be able to get the sun super tach still as a reproduction,
but not certain on that, but anyway, here is one,
View attachment 440458

EXACTLY THE STYLE I WAS LOOKING FOR. THANKS SO MUCH. I WILL KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR ONE

this add was from 1970 Mopar accessories

70_accessories_catalog_0025.jpg

EXACTLY THE STYLE I WAS LOOKING FOR. THANKS SO MUCH. I WILL KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR ONE
Sun was bought out by another company. They are called Sun Pro. They are just a cheap made tach, barley similar to the Sun Super II. They did come out with a reproduction of the old Sun Super II, but for some reason must have been pulled out of market , as I tried to get one, and all sources said they were no longer available.
I did finally find a real nice original Sun Super II with the chrome cup and no transmitter as the early ones had. Look on e-bay...................MO

Love my sun super tach II, bought it in 1983 for My 73RR, for $5 just had to make new wire loom for it and its been great ever sense. So, with that I would recommend trolling fleabay, craigslist, swap meets, this site and find a vintage one not a reproduction one. You should be able to find one in good order for a reasonable price.
20140524_111612crop.jpg

Love my sun super tach II, bought it in 1983 for My 73RR, for $5 just had to make new wire loom for it and its been great ever sense. So, with that I would recommend trolling fleabay, craigslist, swap meets, this site and find a vintage one not a reproduction one. You should be able to find one in good order for a reasonable price.
View attachment 440835
This one is a little later model, probably around that 1980 vintage Doesn't it have the adjustable red line on the outer edge? The ones like mine, from the late 60's -early 70's had a chrome knob in the center of the tach to adjust the larger red line needle. .............................MO

And you would want the Tach positioned where you do not have to take your eyes off the road! Woops did I say "road", I'm sorry I was a street racer.:elmer: My tach was fasten under the dash pad, made it a little higher then the column.

My Sun Super Tach II, model CP-7901, late 1977 early 1978. The Sun Super Tach II has four wires.
T= negative terminal of coil
B= ignition switch or accessory terminal of fuse box
L= dash light circuit
G= engine ground
DSC00581.JPG

Last edited:
I put a Sun Tack in the dash of my old 70 charger.
As I recall it was not hard to do.
This is a pic of that dash that I held on to when I scrapped the car.

IMG_0565 (Large).JPG

Here is one from back in a day I forgot. A friend gave it to me in the mid 70s. (I think).

IMG_0335 (Large).JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back