• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Period Correct Vinyl “Carpet”?

ViperGTS

Local time
6:50 PM
Reaction score
AC3A98AA-1BD2-4621-9779-18AC67BAD31D.jpeg
New to the forums - tons of great info in here! Having some issues finding the correct replacement vinyl carpet.

My Dad recently purchased a 1963 Dodge 330 High Compression car ordered with just about everything deleted. The existing vinyl flooring is pretty brittle and we would like to replace it. There is no jute installed just flooring right onto the floor pans. The only identifying mark I could see is in the picture below. Any ideas on where to find the correct front and rear replacements?

Hi Fran - thanks for the response.

Thats a great question - I assumed vinyl since we were told the option code on the fender tag signified cloth / vinyl but in hind sight that may have been for the seats. If it is a carpet delete car any idea if would have shipped with rubber or vinyl?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge - new to the “older” stuff.

Friend ordered a 70 340 Duster with a rubber mat no carpet. Rubber was common on cheap cars/taxis back then.

Makes sense it could be rubber. I’ll change up my search and see if anything pops up. Thanks for the help!

Back in the day, so to speak, I don't think it was a 'carpet delete' option so much as it was just how the base models came-without carpet.

Badvert65 - I think you 100% right - it was probably whatever you got if you didn't check the box.

Ironbuilt - Thanks For the link - they look to be the right people. I’ll reach out to them - they are local to me too so that's great. They list a “lightweight” carpet on their site too - that could be what I’m after.

A few years ago I came across one for sale. I was told nobody remakes them and the price was high. Not sure if things have changed, Good luck.

Last edited:
The molded rubber mats are still available through ACC Carpets. Unlike the originals which typically had a speckled color finish to them, the new mats are a solid color. The grain pattern is significantly different as well for those searching for a 100% correct piece, but in my opinion, it serves as a quality replacement as most people do not know the details of these items.

When installing the mat, you will find that it is much more involved in getting it to fit the contours of the floor pan than a carpet set. You will probably need to use a heat gun to soften the material to allow you to form the piece and then use a cold wet towel to assist in getting the piece to hold the shape.

The molded rubber mats are still available through ACC Carpets. Unlike the originals which typically had a speckled color finish to them, the new mats are a solid color. The grain pattern is significantly different as well for those searching for a 100% correct piece, but in my opinion, it serves as a quality replacement as most people do not know the details of these items.

When installing the mat, you will find that it is much more involved in getting it to fit the contours of the floor pan than a carpet set. You will probably need to use a heat gun to soften the material to allow you to form the piece and then use a cold wet towel to assist in getting the piece to hold the shape.

Thanks for the information and tips! I was hoping it would be somewhat formed from the factory but I guess nothing is ever easy.

The mat will be formed to the contours of the floor pan, but just like the installation of a carpet set, to achieve a good fit, it has to be massaged into place. ACC basically uses the same molds as it does to build a carpet set for a 63 Dodge 330. The carpet set is more pliable than the heavier vinyl. Just like a carpet set, as soon as the box arrives, remove the mat from the box and lay out flat. It is even better if it can be laid out in the floor board of the car. Some form of heat will be your friend upon the installation of the mat.

The mat will be formed to the contours of the floor pan, but just like the installation of a carpet set, to achieve a good fit, it has to be massaged into place. ACC basically uses the same molds as it does to build a carpet set for a 63 Dodge 330. The carpet set is more pliable than the heavier vinyl. Just like a carpet set, as soon as the box arrives, remove the mat from the box and lay out flat. It is even better if it can be laid out in the floor board of the car. Some form of heat will be your friend upon the installation of the mat.

Got it...thanks!!

A friend has a 68 Dart with the full mat.
I want it for all my vehicles. Carpet is a pain in the you know what.
I checked the ACC website, must be a call to order deal.

A friend has a 68 Dart with the full mat.
I want it for all my vehicles. Carpet is a pain in the you know what.
I checked the ACC website, must be a call to order deal.

According to Cyndy at Kramers - at least for our year / model they are available but only as a special order. The lead time was only a couple days - not sure that holds true for all years / carpets though. 69bfan may be able to confirm availability for you.

There is basically nothing super special about the heavy vinyl mats. For ACC it is still the same mold and process, just a different material. Basically no different than ordering the Essex material or Cut Pile vs the standard 80/20 loop.

For us, if I get my order into ACC before 3:00 PM, it is cut, molded, packed and shipped basically within a a 24 hour period. We have a very good relationship with ACC and they work very well with us. Our account rep has over 10 classic Mopars and the the VP of Sales has been involved with the Mopars for many years.

The reason that ACC does not list the vinyl mats is that they are a tiny fraction of the sales for them. Although we relate ACC as a vendor dedicated to the carpet and trunk mats for our old cars, the old car market is not their bread and butter market. They rely on the late model car market to pay the bills and the carpet for the classic cars is supplemental income.

There is basically nothing super special about the heavy vinyl mats. For ACC it is still the same mold and process, just a different material. Basically no different than ordering the Essex material or Cut Pile vs the standard 80/20 loop.

For us, if I get my order into ACC before 3:00 PM, it is cut, molded, packed and shipped basically within a a 24 hour period. We have a very good relationship with ACC and they work very well with us. Our account rep has over 10 classic Mopars and the the VP of Sales has been involved with the Mopars for many years.

The reason that ACC does not list the vinyl mats is that they are a tiny fraction of the sales for them. Although we relate ACC as a vendor dedicated to the carpet and trunk mats for our old cars, the old car market is not their bread and butter market. They rely on the late model car market to pay the bills and the carpet for the classic cars is supplemental income.

who da man.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back