• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perplexing brake problem

hemiEssex

Local time
11:05 AM
Reaction score
This is what I am working on
65 Coronet

- stock rear drums (10 inch)
- new shoes, cylinders, harware etc. New lines front to back
- 73 Newyorker front rotors and calipers 11 inch.
- New calipers, flex lines all new brake lines
- 68 Newport manual brake master (it looked the same as the dual master that was in it when I bought the car and was readily available
- All stock Coronet pedal and rod etc.
- Dot 5 Silicone brake fluid. Everything is new so I wanted to start with it.
- Hurst Line lock plumbed into front brake circuit.
- SSBC adjustable proportioning valve on rear brake circuit

So I bled the brake with my wife helping the first time. I did not bench bleed the master but I did crack the fittings after it pumped up. I bled the rest of the system. I noticed then that the front drivers side caliper had a very frothy looking fluid but I bled it out anyway and left it for the night. The next day I thought the pedal felt spongy so I borrowed my buddys vaccum bleeder and we did it again. The brakes had a much better pedal to them and we did get lots of air out. Test drove the car, but was not overly impressed by the braking. Not the hard push but the fact that it did not stop very quickly. Tried to lock it up but if wont. Now I have left the car sit for a few days and was working on a tranny issue so I took it out again today. Brakes are spongier than before. I have checked every line and fitting, no leaks. The only thing I think I can hear is a slight air noise when pumping the brakes. Leak??, master cylinder still have air? Wrong combo of parts?? I thought I would try the manual brakes first before going out and buying a power master set up. Any ideas guys?? I need to get this solved quickly?? Anyway to test for air getting in?? Should this set up be not quite as hard?? Getting frustrated as car is ready to go as soon as interior is done.
cheers
Steve

Check to see if the front bleeder screws are at the highest point on the caliper. I think they can be installed wrong. If they are correct I would bench bleed the master cylinder.
Regards,

This is what I am working on
65 Coronet

- 73 Newyorker front rotors and calipers 11 inch.
- New calipers, flex lines all new brake lines
- 68 Newport manual brake master (it looked the same as the dual master that was in it when I bought the car and was readily available
So I bled the brake with my wife helping the first time. I did not bench bleed the master but I did crack the fittings after it pumped up. I bled the rest of the system. I noticed then that the front drivers side caliper had a very frothy looking fluid but I bled it out anyway and left it for the night. The next day I thought the pedal felt spongy so I borrowed my buddys vaccum bleeder and we did it again. The brakes had a much better pedal to them and we did get lots of air out. Test drove the car, but was not overly impressed by the braking. Not the hard push but the fact that it did not stop very quickly. Tried to lock it up but if wont. Now I have left the car sit for a few days and was working on a tranny issue so I took it out again today. Brakes are spongier than before. I have checked every line and fitting, no leaks. The only thing I think I can hear is a slight air noise when pumping the brakes. Leak??, master cylinder still have air? Wrong combo of parts?? I thought I would try the manual brakes first before going out and buying a power master set up. Any ideas guys?? I need to get this solved quickly?? Anyway to test for air getting in?? Should this set up be not quite as hard?? Getting frustrated as car is ready to go as soon as interior is done.
cheers
Steve

X2 on the bleeders. I put disc on my 65 Coronet and of course I had the calipers on the wrong sides(upside down). Switched them and everything worked better. I was told not to use silicon fluid can't remember why now. Does the master cylinder need rebuilt? After I put the Jeg's disc conversion kit on my car I still had a soft pedal. I found out that my M/C was bad so I ordered a non power brake M/C from Master Power Brake plus their prop valve. My non power brakes bring my 10 sec 65 Coronet to a halt.

Auto Transport Service
Back