• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pertronix 3 Distributor Hookup

Houle #382

Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the Pertronix 3 distributor in a big block. If so what exactly did you have to do with the Ballast resister. I gutted mine and put a jumper wire in where the resister wire was so do you leave it wired onto the coil or just remove the wire. The instructions are very vague. What about your box on the firewall ? Does that stay plugged in.

I would assume ? It’s still using the factory reluctor on the distributor shaft

Correct me if I am wrong on reading those instructions

Thanx Scott
Hi Scott tried to PM you but your inbox is full

Man , I just read again your post - Long day at work this morning after days of Iola Old Car Show

Anyways let’s start over

You installed the complete Igniter 111 Distributor ? NOT THE IGNITER 111 MODULE inside your factory distributor correct ?

Last edited:
Anyways the wiring would basically be the same as I stated earlier when just installing the module itself in a factory distributor

Basically , the Igniter 111 module inside your new distributor replaces the factory Chrysler Ignition Module mounted on your firewall

You gutted the ballast resistor , and installed a jumper wire - I can assume just the single ballast resistor , not factory dual ballast for electronic

Now you should have a full 12 - 14 Volts going thru the ballast resistor in the run position

Then that same wire out of your factory wiring harness that was feeding the + positive side of your coil would remain hooked up and you should have 12 - 14 Volts on the + positive side of coil

The Pertronix Igniter 111 Distributor should have two wires coming out of it
Red + for positive side of coil - So now you would have two wires on the + positive side of your coil / Your factory + positive wire from the ballast resistor and the Red + from your new distributor

Black - for negative side of coil coming out of the new distributor

You can remove the - negative coil wire that was coming out of your factory wiring harness that would of went to your factory Chrysler Ignition Module on your firewall

So you would have the factory - negative coil wire not used , and also your two prong male/female pickup coil orange and black wiring not used that would of went to your factory electronic ignition distributor

You can leave the factory Chrysler Ignition Module mounted on your firewall and the 4/5 pin wiring harness plug hooked up to it if you want - It’s not getting any signal from the new Igniter 111 distributor

And it looks like the Igniter 111 requires a low OHM .32 Coil
The Flame-Thrower III billet distributor can be used in conjunction with most ignition coils rated at 0.32 ohms or greater. For optimum performance we recommend our Flame-Thrower III canister style or HC e-core coil.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back