• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pertronix Distributor

Houle #382

Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
Anyone running the Pertronix Flame thrower 3 distributor and coil in you BB's. If you are is there any issue with the Flame Thrower 3 coil ? Reason I ask is I put this system in my 68 340 Dart and the car had issues with the flame thrower 3 coil and ended up using a coil with a little more resistance then she ran perfect.

Yes they have a range of coils that match to the set they have, Pertronix I II III.
I believe in the instructions for the II and III you by pass the ballast. I am running the II with the .6 ohm coil in my Hemi.
Stock Chrysler Coils are 1.5 ohm. Pertronix coils range from .6 to 3.0 ohms
I installed the Pertronix II in a Slant 6 car and didn't read the instructions.Car ran like crap. By passed the ballast and installed a 3.0 ohm coil and all was good.

I have the Pertronix III drop in ignition and the Flamethrower III coil. Ballast is bypassed, black ignition box is solid state. No issues from it.

Yes they have a range of coils that match to the set they have, Pertronix I II III.
I believe in the instructions for the II and III you by pass the ballast. I am running the II with the .6 ohm coil in my Hemi.
Stock Chrysler Coils are 1.5 ohm. Pertronix coils range from .6 to 3.0 ohms
I installed the Pertronix II in a Slant 6 car and didn't read the instructions.Car ran like crap. By passed the ballast and installed a 3.0 ohm coil and all was good.

The Flame thrower 111 coil is .32 ohm's and for some reason my 340 did not like that coil. I don't know if my jumper wire in the ballast resistor had anything to do with it but I ended up using a coil with more resistance. Don't remember which coil I used but it was around 1.0 ohm's and she ran fine after that.

What did the car do with the coil it didn’t like?

I did a Lean Burn swap on a 79 360 to a Mopar electronic conversion. The car would not hot start.Started fine cold.
Everything was wired correctly. Swapped several ballast.Same thing. Ended up by passing the ballast and using a 3.0 ohm coil.That was 5 years ago still running fine. Go figure.:BangHead:

Auto Transport Service
Back