• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pertronix Flame thrower 3 issues

Houle #382

Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
I installed a Flame thrower three in my 440 last year about this time and never got it running the module inside the distributor was bad and I couldn't set the rev-limiter so I called Pertronix and ended up sending the whole distributor back. 6 weeks later I get it back and no issues the rest of the year. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, get up Father's day morning to go to one of the areas biggest car shows, get 4.5 miles from the house car dies. Get it towed home and get the test light out no power to the coil but had power to the relay but nothing coming out. Relay **** the bed, order one from Summit couple days later install it car runs great. Get up the following Sunday to go to the largest Mopar show in NY get 2 miles from home car dies again. Get it towed home pull out the test light and there's power to the coil so did the module in the distributor go bad again? Only I wished, pulled the cap and I could spin the rotor, pulled the distributor and the shaft broke and I was only going 40 mph. It broke right at the area where it's suppose to break but why at only 40 mph. Call Pertronix send the whole distributor back and they claim this is the first one they have seen break so they are sending me a whole new distributor as they said it couldn't be fixed NO DUH ! But now I'm gun shy, my old mopar distributor wasn't worth putting back in so I bought a Proform Mopar distributor put it in car starts right up and runs but there's a slight skip and I haven't figured it out yet why as it never did that with the Pertronix Distributor so after waiting 7.5 months for my cam this has been one hell of a year. Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues, they said this is the first on they have seen but I did see on this website another guy did break his shaft also and Pertronix replaced his also, at least they stand behind what they sell.

Hi H 382,.....With so much After Market mfg sourcing changes (design & QC issues) going on,.... sometimes a fall back to known good condition Oem distributors will eliminate wierd ignition issues..... There's still good Oem parts out there to try.....

Sorry about your crappy luck. I can't say anything about the Pertronix distributor, but I am using a Pertronix III module in my factory distributor and it has been trouble free for 6 years. I don't think I've ever seen a distributor shaft break.

Sorry about your crappy luck. I can't say anything about the Pertronix distributor, but I am using a Pertronix III module in my factory distributor and it has been trouble free for 6 years. I don't think I've ever seen a distributor shaft break.
I was going to go that route myself but decided to go with the whole distributor, talking with a tech at Pertronix he said he's never seen a shaft break but there was one other guy who posted on this website that his broke also. It really is a great distributor my car runs so much better than the stock distributor I can't wait for the replacement to get here. It's suppose to be here tomorrow.

Sorry about your crappy luck.
Same here. Never did a complete distributor from them only the conversion kits using the point distributor.
Always used the Pertronix I or II.Over 20 years now. Would keep all the points related parts in a box in the trunk in case of failure.
As the old saying goes "If you got it with you, you will never need it"
Glad they are taking care of your problem instead of blowing you off.

Same here. Never did a complete distributor from them only the conversion kits using the point distributor.
Always used the Pertronix I or II.Over 20 years now. Would keep all the points related parts in a box in the trunk in case of failure.
As the old saying goes "If you got it with you, you will never need it"
Glad they are taking care of your problem instead of blowing you off.

I actually have a spare Ignitor III module for my GTX :)

Pertronix sent me a brand new distributor, only problem was when I sent the broken one back I should have taken my HEI cap off as the new one they sent me had a female cap on it, I called Pertronix back and they sent me a new HEI cap. Can't say enough about them they really do stand behind their products. Looking at the new distributor before I installed it and they obviously made a change to the shaft as it was definitely heat treated so they must have known they had an issue. It's working perfect right now

5+ years with the Pertronix billet aluminum distributor and Ignitor III in our 65 421 Tripower GTO. Great setup.

Auto Transport Service
Back