• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pertronix plug and play distributor

moparjohnny

Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
has anyone had any problems with these distributors,share your thoughts and opinions.thanks

Mine was easy to install 8 years ago and has not missed a beat since.

I ordered a dorman rebuilt points style dist and installed a pertronix 2 kit in it along with their flame thrower coil. {bypassed the ballast resistor} going on 4 years now works like a champ.
All that said, I still carry the points , condenser in the trunk and the resistor is still on the fire wall. :)

:thumbsup:Eight years in the car ,used all the original equipment when you look at it & it runs as strong as day one. I was sceptical at first but was told by Tim at forhemisonly it was the way to go. He's the man!

I ordered a dorman rebuilt points style dist and installed a pertronix 2 kit in it along with their flame thrower coil. {bypassed the ballast resistor} going on 4 years now works like a champ.
All that said, I still carry the points , condenser in the trunk and the resistor is still on the fire wall. :)
When I did my rebuild, I replaced the dual points in distributor with the same Pertronix Ignitor II conversion along with the Flame Thrower coil. This setup has functioned flawlessly! I have left the ballast resistor in the circuit but thinking of eliminating it.

I can't comment on their distributors, but I have converted two point style distributors over to their Igniter I set up. One is in the small block engine of my '68 Coronet, the other is in the trunk as a spare.
The unit has performed well with no issues for four years now.

Last edited:
I can't comment on their distributors, but have I converted two point style distributors over to their Igniter I set up. One is in the small block engine of my '68 Coronet, the other is in the trunk as a spare.
The unit has performed well with no issues for four years now.

I've got to agree. I have a Pertronix II converted distributor on my 318 poly and a Pertronix III converted distributor on my 440. I used their coil and eliminated the ballast on both. They run fantastic so I am happy with their products.

I've got to agree. I have a Pertronix II converted distributor on my 318 poly and a Pertronix III converted distributor on my 440. I used their coil and eliminated the ballast on both. They run fantastic so I am happy with their products.

As posted I just went with the basic Ignitor kit, kept the ballast, and installed a Blaster coil. The kit was easy to install and no problems. I like their products.
If I hadn't already converted my other Mopars to the MP Electronic Conversion Kits years ago, I'd convert those to Pertronix too.

Have the Pertronix III and Flame Thrower coil in the Coronet. Never had an issue.
On OEM steel heads there could be some interference; I had to grind down the flashing at the corner for the Pertronix to fit. No fitment issues when I converted to Stealth heads.
If you're thinking about ever going to EFI, do your homework first; Pertronix isn't compatible with all manufacturers. It works with FiTech.

I had just swapped out the Mopar electronic ignition system and upgraded to a FBO distributor (looks like the stock Mopar distributor) and control box and the Flamethrower ignition coil about a month before I read up on the Pertronix Ignitor 3 setup. The FBO bypasses the ballast with a jumper, uses the stock wiring harness, and was curved according to the mods I conveyed to Don at FBO. It has worked great, BUT I installed the Pertronix Ignitor 3 billet aluminum distributor, Flamethrower ignition coil and control box in my wife's GTO 421. Both the FBO and the Ignitor 3 have rev limiters. They have both worked great!
I'm pretty sure that I am going to change out my FBO system for something more "tuneable" one day.

Have the Pertronix III and Flame Thrower coil in the Coronet. Never had an issue.
On OEM steel heads there could be some interference; I had to grind down the flashing at the corner for the Pertronix to fit. No fitment issues when I converted to Stealth heads.
If you're thinking about ever going to EFI, do your homework first; Pertronix isn't compatible with all manufacturers. It works with FiTech.

The Pertronix III is not compatible. Jim K. tried one on his FiTech and had issues as the III is a multi spark.

The Pertronix III is not compatible. Jim K. tried one on his FiTech and had issues as the III is a multi spark.
Interesting. I'm using both on my Coronet and it runs, but I've never been happy with the performance. When I talked to FiTech tech support, they assured me that the Pertronix was compatible.

Interesting. I'm using both on my Coronet and it runs, but I've never been happy with the performance. When I talked to FiTech tech support, they assured me that the Pertronix was compatible.

Send @JimKueneman a message and see what his issue was. He mentioned some problems eith how it was firing. My dial back timing light didn't work worth a darn on it while my old Sears timing light ws spot on.

Pertronix has told me they have not gotten the multi spark III to work with the FiTech and offered to exchange it with a II or I. It causes a double pulse to the FiTech and it registers 2x the real RPM.

What a wealth of knowledge on this site! I am always amazed and thankful that everyone shares their knowledge and both good and bad experiences to the group. I, for one am not that experienced with building these Mopars but will be asking and listening to the brain trust of FBBO for help. Thank you!

Pertronix has told me they have not gotten the multi spark III to work with the FiTech and offered to exchange it with a II or I. It causes a double pulse to the FiTech and it registers 2x the real RPM.
Jim, thanks a lot for the message. I purchased the FiTech when it was first released and I don't think even FiTech knew exactly what they had and what other components their products were compatible with. I need to go back and re-evaluate my setup.

Jim, I was following your resto thread from the beginning but hadn't checked in for a few months. Just got caught up - beautiful car, awesome craftsmanship.
And, you gave me a new direction on my FiTech setup.

Igniter 2 inside my points distributor, flame thrower coil, I removed the winding inside the ballast and soldered in a piece of 12G wire and put it back on the fire wall. Looks totally stock !

I just finished up my Ignitor III on my 318. I used my scope to see what the difference was between leaving the resistor in and out. After doing the math and looking at the scope there was no reason to put all that extra stress on the Ignitor switch and original coil. They leave the switch on a very long time (not as long as points but still way longer than is necessary ). Since I don't have a super hot rodded fire breathing 318 leaving the resistor in has minimal performance impact and reduces the stress on the coil by a non trivial amount.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...net-500-project.114333/page-61#post-910850634

Auto Transport Service
Back