• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PG Classics Air Grabber system

dbp23

Local time
11:09 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the PG Classics 103-70kit on their car? This is a reproduction of the 1970 Air Grabber system. It's a complete kit minus the hood. If you have, is the quality good? Is there any fabricating to make it fit, or does everything bolt on nicely? If these kits aren't very good quality, where or what brand would you recommend I get? My 70 Road Runner was a factory Air Grabber car. Unfortunately, none of this came with the car when I purchased it. It was all long gone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the original factory parts on my car, so I can't answer your question.

Just remember "complete" means a lot of stuff. A full Air Grabber system includes a lot of stuff. Here are (hopefully all) off the top of my head:
  • Hood and gasket for scoop
  • Scoop with hinge
  • Under hood airbox with rubber seal
  • Trap door assembly with vacuum actuator that is installed with the airbox. This is what closes the ability to pull air from under the hood and opens the scoop to take air from the hood scoop.
  • Air cleaner. Note there were two for the 4 barrel cars, one for 383 (B) engines and one for 440 (RB) engines. Of course, there is the six barrel as well. Make sure you get the correct one for your application
  • Vacuum can for the firewall.
  • Hoses
  • Red Air Grabber switch and bezel
  • Under dash air grabber solenoid to close scoop.
Good luck in your search.

Hawk

Just remember "complete" means a lot of stuff. A full Air Grabber system includes a lot of stuff. Here are (hopefully all) off the top of my head:
  • Scoop with hinge
  • Trap door assembly with vacuum actuator that is installed with the airbox. This is what closes the ability to pull air from under the hood and opens the scoop to take air from the hood scoop.
  • Air cleaner. Note there were two for the 4 barrel cars, one for 383 (B) engines and one for 440 (RB) engines. Of course, there is the six barrel as well. Make sure you get the correct one for your application
  • Hoses

Hawk
Thank you for the info!

• Scoop with hinge
  • Hoses

Hawk
Don't forget the all important grommet for the firewall with 3 holes in it - almost impossible to find, and as yet not reproduced to my knowledge. :)

To me.
You can piece together original for
Not much more and for a original n96 car
That is what i would do.
If it was a clone then I would buy the cheapest I could find

Under dash air grabber solenoid to close scoop.
I was under the impression that the solenoid held vacuum when the engine was switched off? Thus allowing lid to stay open if switched to do so. At least that's how mine worked. :)

I was under the impression that the solenoid held vacuum when the engine was switched off? Thus allowing lid to stay open if switched to do so. At least that's how mine worked. :)

The intent of the solenoid was to bleed off vacuum and ensure the scoop closed when the car was shut down. Imagine these cars as new when they were driven in lots of weather. Someone shuts down their car with the scoop up and then later, as it is sitting, it starts to rain. This feature kept the engine from drowning in scenarios like that!

The above is what I have read and been told, and my car, as a factory air grabber, has always worked this way, so all of these are consistent with my explanation above. Having said that, I was wrong once... :realcrazy:

Cheers,

Hawk

Buy original and piece it together, wait and pounce! Someone somewhere might have a kit , its worth a few bucks more to have all original. I cannot and will not advise to buy Repro unless it's for clowning.

upload_2019-2-6_13-19-34.png

All good info as I may decide to make my Runner an air grabber car if I don't do the 70' A12 lift off hood car as is Chrysler carried it over for another half year.

All good info as I may decide to make my Runner an air grabber car if I don't do the 70' A12 lift off hood car as is Chrysler carried it over for another half year.

I have seen some really nice 70 hoods with the A12 style hood scoop. I almost thought about having that as an extra hood for my car, but with the original air grabber I knew I would never really use it. I think that is a really nice option unless you are looking to keep the car original.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hawk

I have seen some really nice 70 hoods with the A12 style hood scoop. I almost thought about having that as an extra hood for my car, but with the original air grabber I knew I would never really use it. I think that is a really nice option unless you are looking to keep the car original.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hawk

Thanks. It all depends on which hood I find first. Right now I just have the stock standard R.R. hood.

20170311_163324.jpg

The PG kit doesn't come with the Trico vacuum can. The correct one can still be found in boneyards, early 70s C bodies. I've got several in my parts stash.

NOSCannister_3420851.jpg

Good info i scored n96 for $1,200 but i had some stuff he was interested in only had to come up with $750 I still need switch and now the solenoid ha!

Auto Transport Service
Back