• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

phenolic caliper pistons?

Badvert65

Local time
3:18 PM
Reaction score
I converted my 65 Belvedere to disc brakes using parts from a 75 Valiant. Recently I decided to overhaul the front end and decided it was easier to buy reman calipers than rebuild mine. I wasn't paying attention when I ordered the parts and the dang reman calipers came with the phenolic pistons. Back in the 70's 80's, you were crazy to use them because they were prone to sticking and freezing up. Does anyone know if this has changed now that it is the 'future'?
This is a drag/street car so I really don't want to invite brake troubles.

Those are a plastic type piston,not recommended for
heavy use.
Maybe hard stopping would not be a good idea,
like slowing down after a high speed pass.

I converted my 65 Belvedere to disc brakes using parts from a 75 Valiant. Recently I decided to overhaul the front end and decided it was easier to buy reman calipers than rebuild mine. I wasn't paying attention when I ordered the parts and the dang reman calipers came with the phenolic pistons. Back in the 70's 80's, you were crazy to use them because they were prone to sticking and freezing up. Does anyone know if this has changed now that it is the 'future'?
This is a drag/street car so I really don't want to invite brake troubles.
I wouldn't be afraid of them. I doubt if your car will see much road salt! Chrysler engineering wouldn't have spec'd them without good reason. I was a Chrysler line mechanic in those days too.
Mike

Look up the type pistons,Google it and see what it says.
Basically what I stated.

Since I already have these reman ones, I am just going to pull the pistons and replace them with a steel ones. At least they are cleaned, painted, and have new seals-saved me that job anyways.
When it comes to brakes, I don't like surprises.

Since I already have these reman ones, I am just going to pull the pistons and replace them with a steel ones. At least they are cleaned, painted, and have new seals-saved me that job anyways.
When it comes to brakes, I don't like surprises.
Not painted pistons?? Hope you were refuring to painted calipers.

Those are a plastic type piston,not recommended for
heavy use.
Maybe hard stopping would not be a good idea,
like slowing down after a high speed pass.

I read the article and stand corrected on reuse of phenolic pistons. The article did state that new units were acceptable.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back