• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phoenix Graphics application gel

440plus6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
Looking for some reassurance. Yesterday I applied my bumblebee stripe to my 69 Charger R/T. After speaking with the company, I was assured that using their application gel was recommended over my tried and true home brew for applying decals. Well.... After painstakingly working form the center out and believing all bubbles were gone, I retired for the night. Came out this morning to several "gel" bubbles underneath the stripes. Contacted Phoenix, they assured me nothing was wrong, that some time in the sun and all will be well. Can anyone offer any information? After a near perfect placement, I am about sick with these bubbles. Current temps in PA are 39 degrees with no sun in sight till Thursday.

Is your garage heated? If so just leave it alone for a few days. If not I have had success with a pin and pressing carefully. Also you can try a hair dryer. A heat gun is to much.

Doing it the "proper" way with soapy water I still had some bubbles. Don't get in a rush and take that temptation to pin prick them. Some of my small bubbles took a month to disappear in a heated shop with a dehumidifier running at 30%.

"Application gel" wtf...

Is your garage heated? If so just leave it alone for a few days. If not I have had success with a pin and pressing carefully. Also you can try a hair dryer. A heat gun is to much.
As well intentioned as this post is.....please try to avoid pricking the decal with a pin.

That will lead to other issues one day......and then you'll really be sick.

Thank you all for replying, it is in a heated garage currently. I am just so upset I didn't do what I normally do with a soapy water solution. That gel was thick and very difficult to manage in my humble opinion. Thanks again for the responses, feeling a lot better. Nice having SME's to run things by.

People have been applying vinyl striping since the 60's ... how long has "gel" been around ?!?

Many years ago I asked an aquaintence how he applied the vinyl - he did commercial vehicles, tractor trailers and the like. His reply ... DRY ... use a liquid if you want bubbles!

FWIW, all these guys doing wraps ... DRY application. Ok, its a bit different product but the concept is the same.

"Application gel" wtf...

1666132125032.jpeg

Gentlemen, as a follow up, as usual; you all were correct. After 30 hours of sitting in the paint booth at 80 degrees, it's like a new stripe. It's perfect. Hats off to Phoenix Graphics, outstanding product. Gel bubbles gone, perfect fit and finish. Love it.

I didn't like the gel,I just used the soapy water method. The gel looks like something that they whipped up in the backroom! Lol!

K-Y jelly!
The slide on application gel was developed with an Arizona chemist and was testedf extensively on hoods in the Arizona sun. Most applicators prefer the gel as it gives them extra time to slide their decal into place where as soap and water dries quicker. The bottle purcahsed will allow you to more than one car so if you use too much it may appear thick.

I had better get some of that gel. Where do I get it? I have to put the stripe on my R/T. One more question, do you spray clear over the stripe, after you put it on and get it straight and all the bubbles out of it? Thanks,

while you guys are on the topic of applying decals.. how long should i wait to apply a decal after a fresh paint job ?....Rich

I had better get some of that gel. Where do I get it? I have to put the stripe on my R/T. One more question, do you spray clear over the stripe, after you put it on and get it straight and all the bubbles out of it? Thanks,

I hate the idea of clear over the stripe......

but if it's just a stripe with no cartoon or script, I like painting it on...... no vinyl

I did not clear over top of my RT stripe and it turned out fantastic. Take your time and trust the application instructions. The gel was thick, I didn't think I applied too much as mentioned earlier, but not being a pro, perhaps I did. Bottom line, great products from Phoenix Graphics

As far as the gel goes, you get it from Phoenix Graphics. I bought extra, didn't need it, one bottle will do it.

PGI recommends that you wait at least three weeks for your paint to "outgas". Much will depend on how your painter applied the paint. Ask your painter for clarification as to when they think decals should be applied. In addition you do not need to clear coat your decals unless this is something you want to do as they are produced on automotive grade CAST vinyl and should wear well if you don't buff or wax.
Decals should be applied in 70-90 degree temperature for best results. If you need help we have been assisting customers since 1985 with live help and our licensed restoration manufacturers for Mopar aka "Stellantis" Our sales representatives have 20 years experience each working for PGI and are very knowledgable.

To all Thank you for your business as we are a small family owned business.

So, I guess that I will wait until I get my new paintjob buffed, before I apply the stripe to the tail. I am waiting at least 6 weeks after the paint to buff. I will probably wait until spring, when it is nice and warm. I will need to order the gel sometime before then. Thanks for all the help!

Auto Transport Service
Back