• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pick which budget level 7mm Black Plug Wire

Which budget level 7mm Black Ignition Wire Set?

• DENSO

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • UNITED MOTOR PRODUCTS

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • ACDELCO

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Moroso

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

CompSyn

Local time
8:43 AM
Reaction score
I voted for United Motor Products. I haven't used a set, but I'm going to get one and try it out.
Currently I'm using Napa Belden Edge (the blue wires) and they fit well on both the big block and small block cars I own. The main trouble I have with wires for my big block is finding a set that doesn't assume the engine is in the passenger compartment. The Belden wires are the right lengths.

I voted for United Motor Products. I haven't used a set, but I'm going to get one and try it out.
Currently I'm using Napa Belden Edge (the blue wires) and they fit well on both the big block and small block cars I own. The main trouble I have with wires for my big block is finding a set that doesn't assume the engine is in the passenger compartment. The Belden wires are the right lengths.

United Motor Products says MADE-IN-USA and uses "Premium Delphi Wire". Wonder how good Delphi 7mm ignition wire is say compared to Denso 7mm wire?

Would a set of Firecore's be that much more expensive ??

Will OEM wires work for you? Are you having boot and wire burning issues? I ran Accel Extreme 9000 wires on my tool trucks with great luck. $100+ a set.

The old conventional wisdom was for points type ignition, 7mm was fine.
If running electronic ignition (or even just a "hot" coil), 8mm became minimum.
Is that not still the case these days?

Those RA wire sets aren't "budget", they're just plain CHEAP !

I put a United Motor Products tune up kit in my Dakota last year.
It came with a nice cap and rotor brass contacts and labels for the wires.
I thought the quality and value were excellent.
Made in USA as well.
:thumbsup:

The old conventional wisdom was for points type ignition, 7mm was fine.
If running electronic ignition (or even just a "hot" coil), 8mm became minimum.
Is that not still the case these days?

Yes! Thanks for that. I'm running points ignition. It's a restoration type build. But I don't need to pay the premium for factory script dated coded 7mm "restoration" wires of who knows what quality? And yes, I'm aware FireCore wires are highly revered in the hobby but given the application, not sure what gain would be made while spending four times as much?? If someone could point to specific testing, data, information that shows a specific advantage other than marketing hype, go ahead and post it here.

At this point I'm torn between (1) Denso, (2) United-Packard/Delphi, and (3) Moroso, in no particular order...

Yes! Thanks for that. I'm running points ignition. It's a restoration type build. But I don't need to pay the premium for factory script dated coded 7mm "restoration" wires of who knows what quality? And yes, I'm aware FireCore wires are highly revered in the hobby but given the application, not sure what gain would be made while spending four times as much?? If someone could point to specific testing, data, information that shows a specific advantage other than marketing hype, go ahead and post it here.

At this point I'm torn between (1) Denso, (2) United-Packard/Delphi, and (3) Moroso, in no particular order...
Ah, I see. Very well then, I suppose you don't have headers or any such that would interfere with
"factory" fitment then?
The Delphi wires will probably be closest in appearance to original-type wires, I'd think?
90 years they've been around, wow.

Ah, I see. Very well then, I suppose you don't have headers or any such that would interfere with
"factory" fitment then?
The Delphi wires will probably be closest in appearance to original-type wires, I'd think?
90 years they've been around, wow.

Correct, HP exhaust manifolds.

I got a few e-mail responses back and have these data points. Not sure how it all relates to my real world application?

Pertronix #708107 - 500ohm's/ft - $50.99
Moroso #9030M - 350ohm's/ft - $25.99
FirCore50 #1204-7 - 250ohm's/ft - $95.99

Curious with the Packard and Denso wires are?

Update: A retired engineer from one of the other forums made a compelling case for the Packard wires. So that's what I got coming. Turns out, Packard wires are used for the restoration script wires you can buy for $60-75. So, this option is half the price out-the-door.

I'll make future updates on how they work out...

Thanks everyone!

I got a few e-mail responses back and have these data points. Not sure how it all relates to my real world application?

Pertronix #708107 - 500ohm's/ft - $50.99
Moroso #9030M - 350ohm's/ft - $25.99
FirCore50 #1204-7 - 250ohm's/ft - $95.99

Curious with the Packard and Denso wires are?
Wow, makes for quite the contrast with the MSD 8.5mm "Super Conductor" wire sets. Those claim only 50ohm/ft
resistance, which I can verify when I made up my set (I got headers and such).

Those 7mm Packard carbon core oem wires where over 5,000 ohms per foot when I measured them - Reproduction Chrysler yellow script - Longest wire #7 was around 25,000 ohms brand new

When I replaced them with those 7mm Pertronix spiral core wires they measured around 400 ohms per foot from what I remember - Longest wire #7 was less then 2,000 ohms

Those 7mm Packard carbon core oem wires where over 5,000 ohms per foot when I measured them - Reproduction Chrysler yellow script - Longest wire #7 was around 25,000 ohms brand new

When I replaced them with those 7mm Pertronix spiral core wires they measured around 400 ohms per foot from what I remember - Longest wire #7 was less then 2,000 ohms

Don’t know, shrug? I’m not an expert in this stuff but here is what “engineer” said with regards to the ohms rating...

“Not important unless it REAL high. The R value is part of the circuit.
This is a High-Tension SPARK not a battery cable. Different rules apply.

Mag wire may need a different coil to work right. The ignition circuit is just that
You don't go replacing "component values" willy-nilly. I've used mag wire with less than OEM performance resulting.

Like I said, I have done 1000's of performance tunes.

PACKARD wire, properly terminated with good thick silicone rubber boots at the spark plug end.

NIASE Master (retired); Bell Labs Engineer (retired) G Contractor (retired)“

Your running a points ignition from what I understand

You really didn’t state what your motor build was ?

Anyways Chrysler ran those Packard Carbon Core ignition wires for decades from the factory

All I was stating and showing was ohm values from what I measured when I was chasing higher rpm ignition issues on a non stock motor build

In your initial post you stated performance and durability

Well

Auto Transport Service
Back