• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up a 1985 Honda Vt700 today.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
I got a Honda Shadow VT700 today. I was told it did run not long ago. However its missing the keys and there are a few parts that will need to be replaced. But over all its in decent shape. Here is a first look at the bike as I pulled it off the trailer.

nice find I hope it fires up for you :thumbsup:

I really just need to bypass the key just to see if I can get it to turn over. Probably just mess around with it tomorrow. Ran out of daylight today because I had to put brakes on my truck. Which is another nightmare. I took my rotors up to Oreillys to get them turned. I was a little taken aback at the new cost to turn rotors. 30.00 each. That's 60 bucks to turn rotors. WOW.. They almost tripled in price to turn them. FJB and this stupid economy.

Well I got it to turn over today but the battery is super weak. So I jumped it off and got it to turn over. I took the plug off the ignition switch and bypassed the ignition and put a jumper in the plug. Got the headlight and dash lights working so I was able to see when it was in neutral. Tried to turn it over with the headlight on but it was too much of a draw on the weak battery. So I'm currently trying to charge up the battery. Hopefully I wont have to buy one.

Ok got it to turn over at a decent speed. It has 2 coils and 4 plug wires. Number one plug wire is broken but I stuck a wire in it to check the coil. I have a light orange/white spark. Nothing from the second coil. I think its going to need coils and wires right off the start.

13a070f985445dd7ebce87751b95d6da.jpg

Got it running. Bought some used coils off ebay with good wires. Dumped a little gas in it and it took a little bit but it fired up. So now I need to order some more parts to make it rideable. Need new clutch master as well as front brake master the sight glasses in both are done for and im sure they are crystalized. So I will just replace both with some afteer market types. It needs a new switch with a key also a gas cap that uses the matching key. Once I get those items fixed should be rideable. I have too much crap in my shed so excuse the messy shed.

Last edited:
Congrats and that looks like my shed a mess but I dont have a garage. Cant wait to see it done. :thumbsup:

Congrats and that looks like my shed a mess but I dont have a garage. Cant wait to see it done. :thumbsup:
This was my shed when I first got it.

This is some of the stuff I added free cabinets from a job gut out.

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

I think I have come up with a plan on the bike. Seen a couple of them done on the internet and I think they actually look pretty cool done as a bobber.

IMG_20110402_154330-941x519.jpg

s.com%2F_content%2Fcars%2Fimages%2F54%2F5254%2F001.jpg

Whatever you do please do NOT put straight pipes on it. Those engines sound like craps...well, like big farts with straight pipes.

I planned on leaving the exhaust as is. But since it’s a V-twin it probably would sound too bad with straight pipes. Then again no intension on removing the pipes.

Trust me, the VT Hondas sound awful with straights. It's due to the crank configuration and the angle of the cylinders.

Trust me, the VT Hondas sound awful with straights. It's due to the crank configuration and the angle of the cylinders.
Yea I had no intentions of removing the exhaust. It would be like the first bobber picture. Those are full pipes.

Auto Transport Service
Back