• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up a low mile 440 today.

:) Thanks.. Ive seen the GYC guys paint the entire engine manifolds and all. Should have guessed that the PCV was painted as well.

Hey Beep, just read through your thread and it's very similar to what I built for the exception that I used a '67 440 block. The first video that you posted of the Summit 6401 cam is my '62 Dodge.

I came up with a 9.3 cr also, useing 452 heads and .039 gasket. I found the shortblock already assembled and it has TRW slugs in it @ 050 in the hole. Just a cruiser but something to build on at a later date if I want to. I'm on a budget myself!

Did your machinist do the numbers on the cam lift compared to the valve guide height? Doing the numbers on my 452's it looked kind of close on the valve spring retainers making contact. With the valve springs that I used, the stock size seals were going to be tight also so I did the machine work to lower the valve guides and have them accept the positive stop seals. I documented what I did in "My Photo Garage".

I also read that you are useing a cast crank and a torque converter with no weights. Is your machinist balancing the crank so you can use the neutral balanced dampner and torque converter? (Cast cranks were externally balanced, weights on the torque converter and a weighted dampner.)

What valve springs are you useing. They recommend the 911 springs with that cam but I think the spring pressure is too much for that cam and hydraulic flat tappets when you do the "installed height" numbers. JMO I used a slightly lighter spring. I'd have to look it up if you would like to know which ones.

Last edited:
He is still working on the heads. He mentioned the springs but frankly I forgot what he told me. I know he was doing some work in the bowl area so he may have been working on the valve guides too. I'm not real sure But will call him Monday and see what he has to say.
He told me the cam,lifters,rockers and springs are setup for what I have going. Stock rockers and push rods will be ok, is what he told me.

On the balancing.. He took the dampner with him and told me to purchase that SFI flex plate. He did balance the rods, pistons So I believe it is internally balanced. However, now wondering if it is still externally balanced. I did not notice any new holes in the crank. Or any new added material to the crank. So that is another question I shall ask. Keep in mind I'm a noob at this so I appreciate all the help I can get. And having a battery of questions to ask him sure does help. Sadly he talks so damn much its hard to retain important information.

This is the flex plate he told me to get. Its for externally balanced engines. So I guess that answerd that question. SUMMIT

Flexplate, External Engine Balance, 2-Piece Rear Main Seal, SFI 29.1, 6-Bolt, Chrysler, B/RB, 727, Each

Last edited:
Bored again. Cleaned up the pickup tube painted the valve covers and timing chain cover. Resprayed the pan and the water pump. The color was off from when I sprayed them the first time. VHT Hemi is not the same as Duplicolor Hemi. FYI. The Duplicolor is more red orange and the VHT is more like the old 426 wedge color.

IMG_1728.JPG IMG_1729.JPG IMG_1730.JPG IMG_1731.JPG IMG_1732.JPG

Working on cleaning up the old PS pump and Alternator brackets. Noticed a "broken bracket" Not sure what it went to, kinda thinking AC compressor. But its jagged and my Alternator bracket is messed up as well. They are both circled in this picture.

IMG_1367.jpg

Well after some dicking around out in the shed I used an old piece of steel and came up with this monstrosity. Its very rough at the moment but will get drilled out and tweaked to look like the old one.

IMG_1743[1].JPG IMG_1742[1].JPG IMG_1746[1].JPG IMG_1744[1].JPG

Again was bored. Got my tube of ARP bolt lube and re did all of the rod bolts and torqued them down. Also took a tiny 4bbl chrome air cleaner and made it better. It will be for temp use just to cover the carb.
IMG_1751[1].JPG

Although not a B-Body I may have found a candidate for the 440 it is however a A-Body.

27654830_1773588899615558_3558383960266526683_n.jpg 27657121_1773588926282222_2758043902598103875_n.jpg 27657026_1773588956282219_6605614280751736624_n.jpg 27540984_1773588912948890_8825331550516976642_n.jpg

Too bad its that far away. I'm more into something close. lol never really was a fan of dusters. Although my dad had a gold duster with a gator grain top. that thing was all original.

That looks rough.......

Jeff
Yea you dont get much for 1500 bucks around here. But it has potential. The good thing is I like a challenge. I just don't have the funds to purchase a nicer ride.

I picked up the engine and trans combo today for a few bucks. I intend on doing something with it. Its a 78 440 out of an RV so I know its not a HP monster.

Basically I just want to build this engine with budget in mind and get it closer to the 69 hp 440 Horsepower and Torque specifications. I know in 78 these things were smog robbed. What would it take to make this a decent engine. Heads,intake, cam, lifters and new rocker arms?
As far as the bottom end how much of a difference is there between a say 69 to 78 440 in terms of bore and stroke?

I know the transmission is basically junk behind the main case and that will be removed so I can take the original roadrunner transmission and make one good one with both.

The cool thing is all the electronic ignition stuff is mounted on the engine. And everything is still in tact other than the distributor cap is broken.

It was cold as tits out today so I did all I could to just get it into the truck. Once I get it off the truck and start tearing it down I will get better photos. This engine is supposed to be 47k engine.. But looks like it did all of those miles being dragged behind a tractor. :)

View attachment 555133

View attachment 555134
Holy cow i have the same engine and trans. Block at the shop right now getting a good bath and spec out i am also building it as a mild build using 440 source for parts and once done should see around 500 horse going to have a six pac to fuel it

I made a mistake when reading the date code.. Its actually a 75 But none the less its a RV 440 and its a low compression engine. However now it is going to be a great engine. My engine guy told me I better buy fat tires. lol

I have an old random Iron intake under my shed. I'm probably going to use it to practice porting. I dont even know what kind of intake it is. I thought it was a mopar intake but i looked up the casting numbers and got diddly squat. So now its a science project.

That's funny because my guy told me that the big expense i will have will be rear tires. Mine has a cast crank in it and was going to switch it out he told me to hang on to what i got because the cast vrank will hold up fine. I like the block because of bigger water jackets and the oil web is nice so protection level is already great now for the fun stuff to really get it going

If my machine guy is correct, he said some where near 650 ft pounds but since this is my first build ever I have no idea. Also he said 500 ish HP but again. I don't know.

Yep sounds about right. Im headed over thos friday to see how things are going then its a transmission place unknown right now who to get it from or try my luck on my own

Auto Transport Service
Back