• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up an Edelbrock Performer 383 intake

Paul_G

Local time
12:46 AM
Reaction score
Is it a better intake than the factory 1972 cast iron spread bore intake thats on the engine now? Engine has iron heads, mild Erson cam, long tube headers, and 750 Pro Form DP.

My sisters Nissan has a better intake than the stock 383 piece.
Yeah, it is an improvement. There is a guy on this forum trying to sell some OEM iron intakes. I just shake my head at that stuff. I mean, who would choose to run an antique like that unless they were aiming for a 100 point correct restoration?

Yes, it's better than the factory cast iron intake. It is a little taller and the runner volume/cross section is larger.

Good information. The Performer 383 should do well on a mild engine. From what I have been reading online it will benefit from a 1"open spacer. The manifold has not been modified. Is it worth the time to gasket match the ports?

A port match cant hurt just dont go to wild and try to get it as close to match the head ports.

Good information. The Performer 383 should do well on a mild engine. From what I have been reading online it will benefit from a 1"open spacer. The manifold has not been modified. Is it worth the time to gasket match the ports?

It depends on your power level. If the intake is limiting, removing the divider, and/or adding an open spacer might help. My guess is a lower compression - mild 383 engine will not see a meaningful gain, and might loose a little of the ever so valuable low end on that motor.

My 4 spd 383 w/ 3.91s will go sideways in 2nd gear at a roll starting at 3000 rpm. It'll run high 12s at 108 ish. It will run up close to 7000 rpm. It has a 4 hole spacer. Never tried an open spacer so I guess maybe it would run better with one, although hard to imagine.

Years ago, I had a '71 Dodge Charger 500 (WP23U1A******) with an A727B and 3:55 gears and a standard Carter 4 bbl on a cast iron manifold. Looking for a little more HP, I changed to an Edlebrock Torquer II manifold. This was an open plenium single plane with runners in an "X" configuration and had built in floor dams on the short X branches, to better equalize mixture distribution. I used a Holley 4150 R3310-1 780 CFM (not the current 750 CFM), dual inlet feed with primary and secondary downleg booster venturii and MANUAL choke. I also switched to 4.10 gears in the 8 3/4" 489 case rear. Result was OUTSTANDING street performance with good low end drivability. I believe that this design is no longer produced....probably because of emission regulations, but IMO the engine ran VERY weii with acceptable fuel consumption (~ 10 MPG). I'd recommend the combination if you could find the manifold.
BOB RENTON

Results are in. The Performer 383 is a much better intake than the stock 72 iron spread bore intake. In the upper RPM range the engine pulls much harder, enough to feel the difference. Normal driving is about the same. Very happy with it for the small $125 investment and some clean up time.
20191120-163803.jpg

Plus you've also taken about 25lbs easy off the front end, and way up high too, so the handling should be improved a fair bit.

Looks good Paul. Any problems getting it to seal?

Looks good Paul. Any problems getting it to seal?

Not really. I reused the old metal gasket, just snugged it up tight, and it didnt seal. Had eratic idle. Propane test showed it leaking around the ports. Checked the torque spec, should be 25 ft#. Torqued it down in 2 steps. Then it sealed up.

I need to tweek the carb now a little I think. In the short drive I have done there seems to be a flat spot when the secondarys open. I increased the squirter sizes with the old intake, putting them back to stock now. Still need to test it out and see what AFR's are across the RPM range. Getting rid of the wonky restrictive spread bore to square bore adapter plate on the original manifold, and having a 1" open spacer on this manifold may make a difference.

Larger volume manifold and open spacer will tend to be leaner requiring more fuel.

If I may hijack this older thread, what would be a good aftermarket aluminum head to go along with the Performer intake? 440Source or find a set of used Edelbrock Performer (non RPM) heads? I currently have 516 heads I’d rather not bother with.

Auto Transport Service
Back