• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PICS! $350 Custom manual transmission console for BENCH seat shifter, bench replaced by bucket seats

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
EDIT: For pictures of the console installed, go to the next page.
IT'S BEAUTIFUL!
:bananadance:
One of the forum members had posted an aftermarket "buddy" console that was a nice piece and reasonably priced. I poked around their website and saw a custom console similar to the factory bucket seat manual transmission console, but it was for an automatic floor shift B-body.
Since I recently sold my bench seat after driving the week of Cruisin the Coast in my new Scat Procar bucket seats, knowing that I would never go back to the bench, I was wanting a console. I love the factory units, but they are pricey once you round up ALL of the components, and you have to ADD around $350-$500 for the Z shaped pistol grip shift lever!
So I worked with a prototype and here is the result. This works with the BENCH seat shift lever, and is the ideal console for anyone who changed from bench to buckets and wants a "custom" console.
The black rubber shift boot with chrome trim ring is going to match the look of mine beautifully.
My car:
20180512_135845.jpg

My seats:
20181002_115408.jpg

My console:
Steve.jpg
Steve1.jpg
Steve2.jpg

You can choose from a spectrum of colors. The sides of mine are black carbon fiber, which I think will blend and transition nicely with the black floor carpet.
This console isn't on their website yet, but once I get it and install it, I am going to send them pictures to use to promote the product.
https://bluethunderautomotive.com/product/mopar-b-body-console/

Last edited:
That is nice. I was thinking the other day, how am I supposed to slam gears and hold my drink?
I see the bench model in my future.

That is nice. I was thinking the other day, how am I supposed to slam gears and hold my drink?
I see the bench model in my future.
It has a USB charging port too! I am going to add the factory courtesy lights to mine. The storage compartment will be handy for my Ruger LCP II.

Here's one of the pictures of the prototype when I was working on it for a nice, tight fit. Notice the BENCH seat shift lever.
20190406_124514.jpg

Once I install the shift boot and trim ring, and get my actual finished product, it's going to be beautiful!

Plug in my IPhone, a holder for my soda and a place to put my .45 so I'm not sitting it? What's left?? :)

Thanks for the comments!
As soon as I get it installed, I will post back up. Spread the word! I'm going to more than likely use velcro to attach it to the carpet, so installation should be easy and reversible too.

Here's my thoughts - please don't take them the wrong way. A plywood console when finished looks like ... a plywood console !! You can look at custom cars since the beginning of time and they haven't changed - boxy things with flat sides and top covered in the flavor of the day materials. You look like you have some woodworking skills, why not take it to the next level. Build the unit out of MDF, angle the sides, round over the edges, route a pattern in the top - the sky's the limit. THEN take it to a plastic fab shop and have them vacuum form a dozen units out of ABS and offer them for sale. The unit below was made by Hurst to cover the RamRod and SuperShifters in B-bodies back in the day. Trim to fit vac formed ABS and more than just a square box.

FIL2095.JPG
FIL5548.JPG

One of the forum members had posted an aftermarket "buddy" console that was a nice piece and reasonably priced. I poked around their website and saw a custom console similar to the factory bucket seat manual transmission console, but it was for an automatic floor shift B-body.
Since I recently sold my bench seat after driving the week of Cruisin the Coast in my new Scat Procar bucket seats, knowing that I would never go back to the bench, I was wanting a console. I love the factory units, but they are pricey once you round up ALL of the components, and you have to ADD around $350-$500 for the Z shaped pistol grip shift lever!
So I worked with a prototype and here is the result. This works with the BENCH seat shift lever, and is the ideal console for anyone who changed from bench to buckets and wants a "custom" console.
The black rubber shift boot with chrome trim ring is going to match the look of mine beautifully.
My car:
View attachment 789584
My seats:
View attachment 789580
My console:
View attachment 789581 View attachment 789582 View attachment 789583
You can choose from a spectrum of colors. The sides of mine are black carbon fiber, which I think will blend and transition nicely with the black floor carpet.
This console isn't on their website yet, but once I get it and install it, I am going to send them pictures to use to promote the product.
https://bluethunderautomotive.com/product/mopar-b-body-console/
Your console looks great !!!! The other advantage yours and the Humphugger I got from Blue Thunder has over the factory console is the padded armrest. The factory unit has that unreinforced plastic right where your arm rests and it ALWAYS cracks !!!!! Nice Job !!!!!!

My 71 Cuda is getting a custom made console done right now by Interiors by John in St. Catharines. He does great work. I'll be sure to post some pics when done.

A plywood console when finished looks like ... a plywood console !! You can look at custom cars since the beginning of time and they haven't changed - boxy things with flat sides and top covered in the flavor of the day materials.

I agree. I showed John pics of what I like and what I don't like. The don't like pics were ones made from plywood with the boxy flat sides.

the Humphugger I got from Blue Thunder
Thanks NJRR!
I didn't have time to look up the post to credit you by name for posting about your Blue Thunder Humphugger, but you see where that went.
Working with the designer and the manufacturer has been a GREAT experience, and they OBVIOUSLY respond to market demand. Even though I am only one person, I believe that there are enough others who find themselves in a similar situation: Bench seat shift lever, bucket seats, and the desire for a console, in the image of the factory design, without spending $1,500 for ALL of the parts required to put one together, PLUS another $359-$500 for a Z shaped shift lever!
@Stanton
They made it, I made "adjustments" to the prototype and shipped it back. Using the pictures and measurements and descriptions of how the prototype fit, the modifications I made, and then shipped it back to them, they then produced the separate unit in the picture just for me. For example, the hole for the shift lever on MY console is shifted to the right to accommodate the 5 speed Passon a855 transmission I have....
The picture does not do justice to the contours of the console, and I prefer it the way it's made vs something of plastic that appears mass produced.
Because this looks AWESOME:

20190701_181037.jpg
20190701_181055.jpg
20190701_182010.jpg

BOOYAH!

Last edited:
Looks good Steve, thanks for the link. Need one for the 68 bench car. I see a niche market in your future, You can spend all the profit on your car.

Looks good Steve, thanks for the link. Need one for the 68 bench car. I see a niche market in your future, You can spend all the profit on your car.
Thanks buddy.
I can barely keep up with my 1 man small business doing medical equipment repair and service. I will be happy to have been instrumental in bringing a product to fruition for my Mopar family.
Even if I just get a nice console for the cost of just the console Z shaped shift lever, in the colors I want, I am a happy guy.
Once it is installed, I believe its true beauty and functionality will be more apparent...

Thanks NJRR!
I didn't have time to look up the post to credit you by name for posting about your Blue Thunder Humphugger, but you see where that went.
Working with the designer and the manufacturer has been a GREAT experience, and they OBVIOUSLY respond to market demand. Even though I am only one person, I believe that there are enough others who find themselves in a similar situation: Bench seat shift lever, bucket seats, and the desire for a console, in the image of the factory design, without spending $1,500 for ALL of the parts required to put one together, PLUS another $359-$500 for a Z shaped shift lever!
@Stanton
They made it, I made "adjustments" to the prototype and shipped it back. Using the pictures and measurements and descriptions of how the prototype fit, the modifications I made, and then shipped it back to them, they then produced the separate unit in the picture just for me. For example, the hole for the shift lever on MY console is shifted to the right to accommodate the 5 speed Passon a855 transmission I have....
The picture does not do justice to the contours of the console, and I prefer it the way it's made vs something of plastic that appears mass produced.
Wasn't really looking for credit, just tried to reiterate that the company and products were good. :thumbsup:

I like the idea and admire the craftsmanship.
That said, that style doesn't fit the car, however. As someone else has already mentioned,
something more along the lines of the original interior would be great - and yes, with a padded
armrest for sure.
(I have the buckets and the buddy seat in mine now).

that style doesn't fit the car
Well, obviously I disagree.
If I had a faux wooden gauge panel, instead of the "matching" grain patterned factory black gauge panel, and my soon to be installed Dakota digital gauge kit w/analog style gauges, and the seats, I would be inclined to have neutral or earthtone colors....
But I don't. My car is yellow and black, my 17" Year One aluminum Rallye wheels, my dashtop mounted dual wideband O2 real-time gauge, all contribute to what I see as a Retromod approach, but with the original equipment engine.
To each their own.
Once it's installed, I believe the detractors may like the console more than their initial impressions.
If not, do whatever you want to do with your car...
:poke:
:lol:

View attachment 789963

I know you asked for Ed's, but here's mine. :lol::lol::lol:
That looks GREAT!
Ever since I saw a 69 B5 blue Coronet R/T convertible on a Fall blue sky day, white interior, white stripes, I knew that would be the color combo I would want on a convertible B-body....
But InVoilet/Plum Crazy has surpassed what was one of my lifetime favorite blue colors.
I really like the Mitsubishi Fiji Blue too..That was the color of my 89 Conquest TSi.
Screenshot_20190626-195039_Google.jpg

That looks GREAT!
Ever since I saw a 69 B5 blue Coronet R/T convertible on a Fall blue sky day, white interior, white stripes, I knew that would be the color combo I would want on a convertible B-body....
But InVoilet/Plum Crazy has surpassed what was one of my lifetime favorite blue colors.
I really like the Mitsubishi Fiji Blue too..That was the color of my 89 Conquest TSi.
View attachment 790111
Here ya go !!!! My InViolet 70 RR and my B5 Blue 70 Satty droptop !!!!!!
IMG_4083.JPG

interior2.jpg

I don't seem to be able to find a current, finished "pretty" pic, so here's an old shot when things were going back together...

Auto Transport Service
Back