• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pilot bushing removal

Paul_G

Local time
6:38 AM
Reaction score
I have the 4 speed trans down for rebuild and need to get the pilot bushing out of the 383 crank. What is the best way?

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-55600-...ZNP6FWC44NN&psc=1&refRID=T1P08B326ZNP6FWC44NN

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 5.43.53 PM.png

You can also pack the hole with grease and use a bolt close to the id of the bushing and whack the bolt with a hammer. That will force the bushing out.

I saw it on the show Garage Squad the guy packed moist bread in the hole and with a piece of round stock that would just fit in the hole he hit it with a hammer and the bread forced the pilot bearing right out!

I have the 4 speed trans down for rebuild and need to get the pilot bushing out of the 383 crank. What is the best way?

I have always packed the hole with a heavy grease and used a old pilot shaft or Clutch Disc alignment tool, and just tapped it. With a hammer. It will usually force the bushing out. This may not work if the bushing has extreme wear.
Ron

I have a tip for my slide hammer that works excellent.

20200530_071307.jpg 20200530_071259.jpg

I have always packed the hole with a heavy grease and used a old pilot shaft or Clutch Disc alignment tool, and just tapped it. With a hammer. It will usually force the bushing out. This may not work if the bushing has extreme wear.
Ron

Mine must be worn, or very tight. I have tried packing it with grease. Wrapping electrical tape around the input shaft and pounding it in. Just squeezes the grease out around the input shaft.

I will try bread. And maybe finding a tighter fitting rod

Mine must be worn, or very tight. I have tried packing it with grease. Wrapping electrical tape around the input shaft and pounding it in. Just squeezes the grease out around the input shaft.

I will try bread. And maybe finding a tighter fitting rod

thing is, grease, bread, whatever works great on Chevies & Fords cause the pilot bushing outside dimension is allot bigger than the inside dimension... So there's lots of surface area to act as a piston... Not saying it won't work but the deal is stacked against you when trying to remove the Mopar bushing.... The tool I linked above allows the whole diameter work as part of the surface area...

First a Ford bushing, the Chevy & last Mopar..
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 6.14.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 6.14.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 6.15.32 PM.png

Can the bushing be cut out using a small cold chisel?

I consider that a last resort, before you destroy the bushing worse case scenario if you can't get it out you can run it.. Once you destroy it the problem just got bigger..

I saw it on the show Garage Squad the guy packed moist bread in the hole and with a piece of round stock that would just fit in the hole he hit it with a hammer and the bread forced the pilot bearing right out!
Works like a dream!!!

i have one similar to 7318 OTC works great my friends have used more than me

I bought the 55600 tool from Amazon. I tried the 2 jaw style. Does not work, nothing for the jaws to hook under. It just slides right out. I hope this tool works. All else fails, can I use a pilot bearing in the crank where the TC snout goes and leave the old bushing in place?

Don’t do that, get the old bushing out. By using that bearing, you’ll need to cut off X amount on the input shaft.

Don’t do that, get the old bushing out. By using that bearing, you’ll need to cut off X amount on the input shaft.

Actually no... You only have to cut the shaft if the pilot hole in the crank isn't full depth... This crank is drilled full depth & is finish bored...

Agreed, but it sounds as though this bushing may be damaged now. Although one could use a small sand roll to smooth it out for the input shaft.

I used a small endmill in my air grinder and cut it in two spots to make it paper thin. Then I wacked it with a small chisel and it broke in half. The thing is oil impregnated bronze material so it isn’t like it’s hard and you can’t break it up and get it out. It’ll come out no problem just give it some patience.
:thumbsup:

15864045-bb3e-4c8e-a0ca-2c9e86968339-jpeg.jpg
dd3e53d9-e6f0-4485-b6a3-1e9843aa9205-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
I saw someone run a tap into it and it just bottomed out in the bore and the bushing walked out.

I used a small endmill in my air grinder and cut it in two spots to make it paper thin......

Ya' might be able to thin up or notch the bushing wall with a hack saw blade as well...…….....

upload_2020-5-30_8-47-34.png

I saw someone run a tap into it and it just bottomed out in the bore and the bushing walked out.

I've done that on Fords but again wall thickness & in this case I/D play a role..

Auto Transport Service
Back