• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pinion Angle

kinghs95

Local time
8:02 PM
Reaction score
I have a 72 satellite with a 440 with new super stock springs that I’m putting a 8.75 3.55 gears in an idk what the correct pinion angle I should have my pinion and perches?

Equal but opposite( trans yoke to pinion) for a street car/ cruiser and add 2-4 degree more nose down on the pinion for a street/ strip automatic car. that was what i was told by the guys at Cal Trac but that is for their set up so you may want to go more like 5 degrees.

Universal joints aren’t CV joints, to take out the motion error the tail shaft of the transmission and the pinion of the rear end want to be parallel. Of course stomping on the gas tips the pinion up, altering this equation, that’s where the nose-down comes from, you’ll often want to split the difference between max torque and cruising. Rear suspensions with less wind-up need less pinion-down, also goes for lower torque and less aggressive use.

The suggestions above are decent guidelines. Adjust based on your situation.

On the factory housing, the perches mount 5 degrees pointing up. If you have to weld new perches on, weld them 0 to 1 degree pointing up at the front compared to the center section mounting face. Assuming you are using stock location engine mounts this will get you close to the desired 4-5 degrees down at the nose. This is because the springs themselves don't set parallel to the ground.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back