• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pinion seal leak

rp23g7

Local time
1:29 AM
Reaction score
I searched and didnt really find the answer.

The pinion seal on my 741 8 3/4 one legger is leaking. Is there a pre load on a 741, or just tighten the nut back up after replacing with seal on the yoke.

The pinion bearings are set by shims so it's pretty straight forward going back on with the nut. There is a torque setting for the nut but dang if I can remember what it is. I also use Loc-tite on mine...

the 741 & 742 case are pretty straight forward,you could mark the nut and pinion shaft and tighten it to the exact location, 489 case units are the only one you can't do that with,they have a crush sleeve.

Thats a great question! I have a 95 ram and had to take the yoke off the diff to get the broken stud out of it. supposedly it was the dana 44 with a crush sleeve. I marked it and put the yoke back on and tightened the nut til the marks matched. 40k miles and no worries!

Thats a great question! I have a 95 ram and had to take the yoke off the diff to get the broken stud out of it. supposedly it was the dana 44 with a crush sleeve. I marked it and put the yoke back on and tightened the nut til the marks matched. 40k miles and no worries!
Are you sure it wasn't a 9 1/4? Not sure about the 44 but the 9 1/4 has a crush sleeve that's takes a lot of torque to crush....

Auto Transport Service
Back