• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pinion snubber req'd ??

65hemi

Local time
7:36 PM
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a dana for the '65 Belvedere. Some housings come with the mounting pad for pinion snubber and some don't. The ones that don't have the pad are usually cheaper.

The '65 has a hemi and SS springs, and no other traction device planned. I have generally thought that a pinion snubber was required on a leaf spring mopar, but is it really?

Not required but if you aim to reduce wheel hop you'd want one.

I am looking at getting a dana for the '65 Belvedere. Some housings come with the mounting pad for pinion snubber and some don't. The ones that don't have the pad are usually cheaper.

The '65 has a hemi and SS springs, and no other traction device planned. I have generally thought that a pinion snubber was required on a leaf spring mopar, but is it really?
The ones without the the snubber pad are truck housings. I use them too and don't use a pinion snubber for racing but if your springs are stock and are not heavy duty, you need to use something to keep the nose of the rear end from torquing up and hitting the floors.

Not required but if you aim to reduce wheel hop you'd want one.
Wheel hop on a Mopar? Not very common but it can happen on any leaf spring setup but Mopars are setup a bit different from GM and Fords in that department.

I know it is less common due to the offset spring setup but I always thought the point of the snubber was to transfer the cars torque weight to the ground easier therefore keeping the wheels planted.

I know it is less common due to the offset spring setup but I always thought the point of the snubber was to transfer the cars torque weight to the ground easier therefore keeping the wheels planted.

Yep. And it does so by not putting a twisting moment on the axle tubes.

The truck housing will work!But they are heavier!Heavier axle tubes.You won't twist them.

I thought all tubes were the same on the danas 3" diameter. I've heard with stock springs just get a set of cal trac bars and have fun. Have heard many times of the pinion snubbers denting the floor if you get the adjustable one, so the bars are better for traction. Ill be getting some for now on my stock factory springs with my built 440, not sure the hp but just gonna have fun with it.

I thought all tubes were the same on the danas 3" diameter. I've heard with stock springs just get a set of cal trac bars and have fun. Have heard many times of the pinion snubbers denting the floor if you get the adjustable one, so the bars are better for traction. Ill be getting some for now on my stock factory springs with my built 440, not sure the hp but just gonna have fun with it.

I am with you on the just having fun. I am going to use an adjustable snubber on my 66' Sat. I want to improve traction but want the stock appearing look. I will be installing some HD springs or SS springs for my combination and Rancho 9000 shocks that are 9 way adjustable. This should improve overall performance. I am unsure what to do for the front suspension though. Have any suggestions?

Well a lot of people are just using factory suspension but upgrade to like energy suspension bushings, if your going for drags get adjustable front shocks either comp. Engineering, strange, QA1 depends on what price your looking at. Has anyone had any problems with the comp engineering ones? Well you can always just see how you like the pinion snubber, upgrade to bars later

I have decided to go with a Strange dana for the '65. It has the pad for the snubber so gives me flexibility down the road to use a snubber if needed.
My Cuda has caltracs, but that's not the way I want to go with the Belvedere.

I thought that if you were using SS springs that a pinion snubber wasn't needed?

I do my own springs and don't use a snubber. I don't like how they act. IMO, Cal-Tracs are great for the guys that race and have to use a leaf spring setup but once I'm fast enough that leaf springs are no longer doing the job, I go to either ladder bars or a 4 link but for a street car, I've tried snubbers and well, I modify my springs to where I don't need the snubber. The ride is more harsh but I never have liked that danged snubber pounding the floor either not to mention having to replace the rubber pad so often.

I do my own springs and don't use a snubber. I don't like how they act. IMO, Cal-Tracs are great for the guys that race and have to use a leaf spring setup but once I'm fast enough that leaf springs are no longer doing the job, I go to either ladder bars or a 4 link but for a street car, I've tried snubbers and well, I modify my springs to where I don't need the snubber. The ride is more harsh but I never have liked that danged snubber pounding the floor either not to mention having to replace the rubber pad so often.

Totally agree with you I'm just gonna use the cal tracs till I get my 4 link chassis done, just figure have fun with the car till I save up the money.

What do you do to your springs so that you don't need a snubber? I already have the SS springs, but would prefer not to have a snubber banging on the floor.

Auto Transport Service
Back