• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pipe Diameter

Stumper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:37 PM
Reaction score
Getting ready to redo the exhaust system on my 62. Currently has a VC 2” pipe dual with what seem to be some type of stock mufflers. Motor is a stock 361/4bbl. I dont want anything loud, maybe just a bit of rumble and no cruise drone. My exhaust guy recommends turbo mufflers? Any experiences with these? My primary question for the group - what pipe size to use??
Should I stay with 2” or go a bit larger like 2 1/4 or even 2 1/2” ? I can always use a bit more power/torque. At what point is too big for a stock motor?

I like the super turbos. On pipe you could go min 2 1/4 with the fairly stock motor.. but if you beef it up down the road, or 383, 2 1/2 would be suitable

2-1/4 with Dynomax Super Turbos will be fine.

I've had Dynomax Super turbos, 2 1/4" on a pretty much stock '70 383 charger for 3 years now. Good quality, however, I do regret not getting quieter mufflers. I knew what I was getting when I ordered them but after a while, I got tired of the noise. When doing the restoration, I put sound deadening material in the cabin. Of course, that's not going to help much with the windows rolled down. No droning, but too loud for me now. Hope this helps.

I've had Dynomax Super turbos, 2 1/4" on a pretty much stock '70 383 charger for 3 years now. Good quality, however, I do regret not getting quieter mufflers. I knew what I was getting when I ordered them but after a while, I got tired of the noise. When doing the restoration, I put sound deadening material in the cabin. Of course, that's not going to help much with the windows rolled down. No droning, but too loud for me now. Hope this helps.
So the turbos were too loud for you? What do you wish you had gone with that would have been more quiet?

The HEMI mufflers are longer.
The turbo mufflers can be bought n different case lengths.
Grab the longer case length for a quieter ride in and out.
The come in lengths of 14-16-20 inches.
I don’t know how much you can fit under the car. Check at TTI’s web site. They offer ones that fit in two sizes.

Last edited:
So the turbos were too loud for you? What do you wish you had gone with that would have been more quiet?
Probably will try the longer, standard size that Dynomax has. I have never heard them, but i would research to make sure they were what I wanted.

Last edited:
Please read carefully what I wrote there.
Oh I read the post!
Probably will try the longer, standard size that Dynomax has.
Stating your going to try the Dynomax muffler.

I have never heard them,
OK, says here….
but i would research to make sure they were what I wanted.
Always a wise move.

The way “I” read it….. seems to say your going to try a muffler brand and then you said You haven’t heard of them.

Not the way you intended it to be read.

Would hemi mufflers be more quiet that Turbos?
Yes. Hemis (original) were for a powerful big block, to quiet it down to production noise standards.
The original "turbos" were intended for a small motor (corvair) with a turbocharger, in a single exhaust configuration, so needing very minimal noise reduction. They also flowed very well, because they didn't have to quiet the turbo corvair much.
For the o.p., I would run a 2 1/2, simply cause most performance systems are, along with hemi mufflers or a walker equivalent.
My theory for best power/quiet exhaust is: proper size pipe (including the muffler) for the application, and the biggest longest muffler that will fit under the car........

2 1/4 with Dynomax 17747 mufflers. 20 inch body and 25 inches overall. I run the 2 1/2 version and resonators on my 68 Sport Satellite convertible. No drone at all, with or without the top down. I use Flowmaster Flow FX round mufflers for resonators. Basically a glass pack but stainless.

2 1/4 with Dynomax 17747 mufflers. 20 inch body and 25 inches overall. I run the 2 1/2 version and resonators on my 68 Sport Satellite convertible. No drone at all, with or without the top down. I use Flowmaster Flow FX round mufflers for resonators. Basically a glass pack but stainless.
Nice set up.
Headers or not?
Pressure wave cancellation box?

I am running TTI headers and a X pipe but Ive never noticed a difference between a X pipe and without. I actually have a exhaust shop at home and do it on afternoons and weekends so I have done quite a few different setups over the years.

I am running TTI headers and a X pipe but Ive never noticed a difference between a X pipe and without. I actually have a exhaust shop at home and do it on afternoons and weekends so I have done quite a few different setups over the years.
Gotta agree there. It’s a thing where the seat of the pants doesn’t really pick up the small gains. I found no performance difference in my “Street” cars between the X and H pipes but only noticed a “Tone” difference between the X and H.

There can be a good showing on the dyno with or without a pressure wave cancellation box BUT …. I don’t know if that can be felt.

Oh I read the post!

Stating your going to try the Dynomax muffler.

OK, says here….

Always a wise move.

The way “I” read it….. seems to say your going to try a muffler brand and then you said You haven’t heard of them.

Not the way you intended it to be read.
There is a difference between "heard", and "heard of".

Auto Transport Service
Back