• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pipe plug for AL intake

YY1

Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
Is it better to use brass, copper or steel threaded plugs in an aluminum intake? I had to use a torch and vise grips to get the steel nipple out.
Don't think I could have done that with a plug. Aluminum plugs are $10 and up each around here and have to be ordered, but Ace has steel, brass, or copper for like 69 cents.
...and I need a flush head to clear the a/c comp.

use a dissimilar metal like brass or iron with some thread sealant or teflon tape. sometimes using like metals will gall the threads, especially with out a lube or sealant.

Should have remembered that from working on food grade assembly line controls.

Guess I was thinking about dissimilar metal being conducive to corrosion.

I never worried about it but also used pipe dope or some kind of sealer on all pipe threads.

I like to use brass on aluminum especially if it's dealing with water. Copper is kind of soft and may round off with a wrench if it gets stuck.

After looking on line and finding only $6- $10 stuff (for a nickel sized plug!).

I went to Auto Zone and got 2 steel ones for $1.29, and they're allen head recessed, to clear my a/c comp.

Had to go buy a quality 12 point socket to get that existing square head plug out of the hole I needed to use for the nipple. Now I gotta get a new nipple (old one's kinda tweaked [ha]).

I also like using Stainless Steel for plugs etc.....

as long as you use a good sealant or lubricant any metal will work fine.that part of the eng dosnt get hot enough to worry about expantion.you just need to worry about corosion.so brass or stainless are good choices.like cranky said,dont go with soft metal.

...sorry it wasn't auto zone, it was a locally owned hardware store.

They were the only ones that had a plug with a recessed head.

Auto Transport Service
Back