• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pirate Jack Retailer

Cyty Slykers

Local time
10:54 AM
Reaction score
I’m in search of a drum/disc conversion kit preferably wildwood for my 68 Charger with power brakes. I stumbled across this Pirate Jack website and they have a wildwood kit that comes with everything I need and don’t have to worry about piecing everything together. The kit comes with a power booster and master cylinder which saves me tons of money by not having to purchase separately but my question is how reputable is this company and have anyone purchased a brake kit from them.

I'm glad you asked!

I purchased my kit for my 67 Coronet from Pirate Jack's. I ordered the 11" drilled and slotted rotors and added the power option. Well it was a year before I had a chance to get this installed. Everything went great and fit perfectly as far as the rotors, calipers, ball joints/spindles, lines, etc. When I got to the power booster, firewall plate and linkage, it was for 70-74 mopars and was no way going to work for my 67. So I called them and even after having this for a year, they said they would take care of it.

The guy at Pirate Jack's said in the meantime, I should maybe try the conversion without the booster, so I did. After I got everything installed and bled, I tried out the car. It stops but you really have to get on the pedal to do so. The bore is 1 1/8" which is too big for non-power and they don't offer a smaller bore. So I found out about Dr Diff and talked to Cass. What a great guy! Very helpful and knowledgable. He recommended a 15/16" or at the most 1" bore and he carries them all. He said most people prefer the 15/16" over the 1" for non power disc/drum conversions. I have yet to order because I'm not sure which one to get.

So getting back to Pirate Jack's... I ended up sending back the power portion of the kit (booster, firewall plate and linkage) and kept the master cylinder. They refunded me more than what I paid even after more than a year had gone by! It took 4 or 5 calls and e-mails to get it done, but I would have to say, they treated me good in the long run. The brake components are MBM which Dr Diff also sells so the quality is there.

To answer your question, the folks at Pirate Jack's are very nice and their kits are as good of quality as anywhere else. I would definitely recommend them. All of this took place just a few weeks ago by the way if you're wondering. Communication could be a little better, but they are very nice folks. On the other hand, after speaking with Cass at Dr Diff, I would not hesitate to purchase from them either. I think you would be safe with either company.

I've heard good things about Ram Man as well. I called but no one answered. I left a message and never got a reply. That bothers me to no end and IT HAPPENS A LOT THESE DAYS! Maybe he was just extremely busy, I don't know. Everyone seems overwhelmed these days. I can't vouch for him because I've never spoke or done business with him, but again, I do hear good things about him.

SO... I hope this helps and keep in mind, this is just my own personal dealings. I'm sure others have had different results and also have different opinions.

Now, I still have to figure out which M/C to get for my car, but I'm staying with manual brakes, that much I do know.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do.

I'm glad you asked!

I purchased my kit for my 67 Coronet from Pirate Jack's. I ordered the 11" drilled and slotted rotors and added the power option. Well it was a year before I had a chance to get this installed. Everything went great and fit perfectly as far as the rotors, calipers, ball joints/spindles, lines, etc. When I got to the power booster, firewall plate and linkage, it was for 70-74 mopars and was no way going to work for my 67. So I called them and even after having this for a year, they said they would take care of it.

The guy at Pirate Jack's said in the meantime, I should maybe try the conversion without the booster, so I did. After I got everything installed and bled, I tried out the car. It stops but you really have to get on the pedal to do so. The bore is 1 1/8" which is too big for non-power and they don't offer a smaller bore. So I found out about Dr Diff and talked to Cass. What a great guy! Very helpful and knowledgable. He recommended a 15/16" or at the most 1" bore and he carries them all. He said most people prefer the 15/16" over the 1" for non power disc/drum conversions. I have yet to order because I'm not sure which one to get.

So getting back to Pirate Jack's... I ended up sending back the power portion of the kit (booster, firewall plate and linkage) and kept the master cylinder. They refunded me more than what I paid even after more than a year had gone by! It took 4 or 5 calls and e-mails to get it done, but I would have to say, they treated me good in the long run. The brake components are MBM which Dr Diff also sells so the quality is there.

To answer your question, the folks at Pirate Jack's are very nice and their kits are as good of quality as anywhere else. I would definitely recommend them. All of this took place just a few weeks ago by the way if you're wondering. Communication could be a little better, but they are very nice folks. On the other hand, after speaking with Cass at Dr Diff, I would not hesitate to purchase from them either. I think you would be safe with either company.

I've heard good things about Ram Man as well. I called but no one answered. I left a message and never got a reply. That bothers me to no end and IT HAPPENS A LOT THESE DAYS! Maybe he was just extremely busy, I don't know. Everyone seems overwhelmed these days. I can't vouch for him because I've never spoke or done business with him, but again, I do hear good things about him.

SO... I hope this helps and keep in mind, this is just my own personal dealings. I'm sure others have had different results and also have different opinions.

Now, I still have to figure out which M/C to get for my car, but I'm staying with manual brakes, that much I do know.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do.
The PST kit I was looking at is $899 and that’s without the booster and master cylinder but pirate jack has a kit with everything for $1100 but hate to spend that type of money on cheap faulty equipment. Finding a good brake diversion kit from a reputable company has been a lil difficult due to the unknown and different choices lol smh.

I used a PST kit (made by Leed Brakes). The quality was very good and the cutomer service has been exceptional.

I converted my 70 Satellite from drums to front disc with an SSBC kit which used the drum spindles. I also used a Right Stuff 15/16" bore master cylinder that I got from Summit. Car stops great.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-dbmc15/applications

NJRR,

Do you have a good, solid pedal and is there alot of travel when you apply the brakes or does it stop quickly without much pedal travel? This may just be what I need.

Thanks!

I used a PST kit (made by Leed Brakes). The quality was very good and the cutomer service has been exceptional.
I’ve heard nothing but good reviews about PST and Dr Diff so now I’m torn between the 2 companies lol...I’ll be comparing kits and pricing between the 2.

NJRR,

Do you have a good, solid pedal and is there alot of travel when you apply the brakes or does it stop quickly without much pedal travel? This may just be what I need.

Thanks!
Pedal is very solid, not spongy at all. I made sure to bench bleed the new M/C thoroughly and flushed all the brake lines with new fluid. I also rebuilt the rear drum brakes completely with new wheel cylinders too. Don't forget that if you have front disc and rear drum brakes you have to plumb in a proportioning valve into the rear line so you don't get rear wheel lock up. I put mine in-line coming out of the stock distribution block to the rear line and mounted it up on the fender near the M/C in an existing hole to make it easy to access during adjusting. I just needed 2 30" ready made brake lines and a coupling to connect the line out of the prop valve to the rear brake line. Had to make a couple of loops and bends which you can make out in the pics below.
IMG_5054.JPG

IMG_5050.JPG

Do lots of checking...I don't remember the last negative experience I heard about with dr diff heck he helped me awhile back even though I wasn't buying from him. Pirate jack and ram man on the other hand...they seem to piss off a lot of people..

Last edited:
I also rebuilt the rear drum brakes completely with new wheel cylinders too. Don't forget that if you have front disc and rear drum brakes you have to plumb in a proportioning valve into the rear line so you don't get rear wheel lock up.

I did the same thing (new rear brakes with new wheel cylinders, flushed all the lines and installed a proportioning valve). I think I just need your master cylinder. My pedal is like pushing on a boulder, super hard pedal with little stopping power. I believe I may be ordering one.

Your system looks nice! I installed my P valve in the rear line right under the driver's floor. Still pretty easy to get to and much less plumbing. I just cut the line, double flared new fittings and connected to the valve.

Thanks again.

I purchased my front disc brake kit from Pirate Jack and would do so again. I tried initially to purchase from PST but after waiting 3 weeks, their 3rd party supplier still had not shipped them so I went with someone else. PJ had them in stock which meant I had them in 3 days. I was missing one caliper retainer clip and they sent out a whole caliper hardware set to complete my order. Very quick with customer service and no problems with the kit installed.

I purchased my front disc brake kit from Pirate Jack and would do so again. I tried initially to purchase from PST but after waiting 3 weeks, their 3rd party supplier still had not shipped them so I went with someone else. PJ had them in stock which meant I had them in 3 days. I was missing one caliper retainer clip and they sent out a whole caliper hardware set to complete my order. Very quick with customer service and no problems with the kit installed.
That’s good to know. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back