• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Piston recommendations

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
Rebuilding my ‘78 440 and made the following changes:
Swapping 452 heads to 440 source aluminum stealth heads.
Cam is stockish summit 6400

block hasn’t been decked.
Stock stroke
0.030 bore.
My kb 184 pistons with raised pad need to be either replaced or pad milled down.
If I buy new, what is a good affordable piston to get me around 10:1 compression? Is it better and/or cheaper to mill the pads down?
Thanks
Sonny

I used Speed Pro Forged pistons in my 75 RV 440. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-l2355f30/make/dodge

IMG_1704.JPG

Last edited:
KB 237 is close to a zero deck and will get you there with the Stealth heads. As long as you aren't boosted the hypereutetic pistons are nice. I'm running the same pistons and heads and am around a 10.2:1 with Felpro gaskets.

I’d run some ICON flat top pistons. Forged pistons plus the thinner 1/16 rings to free up some power.

I’d run some ICON flat top pistons. Forged pistons plus the thinner 1/16 rings to free up some power.

I'm running & recommend Icon's too... However they are considerably lighter which while it is a good thing but because of that they will require a balance job...

Auto Transport Service
Back