• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Piston ring filers?

Boris7K

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for a decent yet cheap piston ring filer? Also looking for a piston ring squaring tool. I am beginning to build a 440 and first obstacle is the ring end gap, top ring is good and the second ring is tight, like .010 or more. Also, the packaging says .010 or greater for the oil rings but its more like .025, does that sound right?

Some tools you can go cheap on some others i would not go cheap on. It will cost more in the long run. I'm sure others will have a solution.

Anyone have recommendations for a decent yet cheap piston ring filer? Also looking for a piston ring squaring tool. I am beginning to build a 440 and first obstacle is the ring end gap, top ring is good and the second ring is tight, like .010 or more. Also, the packaging says .010 or greater for the oil rings but its more like .025, does that sound right?
Be careful. They can take off a lot of material fast if you're not careful. Check Summit.

I get it with spending money for good tools, I've been an airplane mechanic for 30 years. I just don't need one that is built to last forever and I might only use on two more engines max.

Unless you are building a motor for nitrous use you should be fine with regular rings.

I get it with spending money for good tools, I've been an airplane mechanic for 30 years. I just don't need one that is built to last forever and I might only use on two more engines max.
What planes did you work on? A&P mechanic? I wanted to be an aircraft mechanic, but the school in my area was decertified.

Yeah, got my A&P in 1993. Started in GA with Cessnas and Pipers and such then moved on to a regional airline with Embraer Brasilias and Canadair Regional Jet 200s, 700s and 900s. Now we fly the Embraer 175 also. I've been in an engine shop working on General Electric CF34-3 and -8 for the last 15 years or so.

Unless you are building a motor for nitrous use you should be fine with regular rings.
I'm using the rings that came with the pistons, just ran into the tight second ring when checking.

I bought the Summit brand ring filer and the squaring tool but it only goes in about an inch. Some builders like to check with the ring down further but to me that's what a bore gauge is for.
Gus

Yeah, got my A&P in 1993. Started in GA with Cessnas and Pipers and such then moved on to a regional airline with Embraer Brasilias and Canadair Regional Jet 200s, 700s and 900s. Now we fly the Embraer 175 also. I've been in an engine shop working on General Electric CF34-3 and -8 for the last 15 years or so.
Very cool.

Auto Transport Service
Back