• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pivot shaft repair-old school. who would of thunk it. comments

shag766

Local time
1:36 PM
Reaction score
this is going back to me raising the front end of the coronet and screwing it up and pulled a popeye on the pivot shafts stripping the threads on both sides. duh-no manual. check past thread.
a good bud drops over who has been a wrench his whole life and put some years in a mopar dealership. he takes a look at my situation and has a bit of laugh at me and then comes up with this short term fix. he explains what i have done, still with a grin and says to, Spot Weld the nuts to the shaft. it will keep me mobile for now and this winter when i convert over to discs on the front, fix it all at once. needless to say he had me scratching my head and if it had of been anybody but him saying it i would of wrote it off.
at this point i had nothing to loose so i get out the mig and zip-zip, done. put the front end up 1.5 inches using the right bolts and a test drive was done. felt alright. i am now a couple of hundred miles from home for a family doo and feeling safe from the intersate hi-way drive. photo's when i get home tuesday.:eusa_think:

Glad you were able to fix it up for the balance of the season. Keep an eye on your tires, unless you stopped off for an alignment, 1.5 in is a good bit to raise to front end.

Shag.....Don't take this the wrong way, not cutting on anyone or anyone's ideas/work here, but those spot welds are the only thing between your car going straight down the road vs. it breaking loose.....possibly a shift with the LCA, LCA bouncing all over the place, torsion bar shifting, wacked spring rate.....in other words, a catastrophic suspension failure. Right now who's to say what kind of torque that nut is securing the shaft in with and seating it where it should be. Factory should be 125 ft lbs. That little C-spring clip on the backside of the torsion bar isn't going to hold a wick to a higher speed down force corner and the LCA kicking back in the possible event of a failure.

Best of luck in your travels my friend. I really hope you don't run into a problem. Myself I would spend the $50-70 bucks for new pivot shafts, replace the lower control arm bushings while I was at it, and have piece of mind it's gonna hold just like it was engineered to do.

thanks prop

Shag.....Don't take this the wrong way, not cutting on anyone or anyone's ideas/work here, but those spot welds are the only thing between your car going straight down the road vs. it breaking loose.....possibly a shift with the LCA, LCA bouncing all over the place, torsion bar shifting, wacked spring rate.....in other words, a catastrophic suspension failure. Right now who's to say what kind of torque that nut is securing the shaft in with and seating it where it should be. Factory should be 125 ft lbs. That little C-spring clip on the backside of the torsion bar isn't going to hold a wick to a higher speed down force corner and the LCA kicking back in the possible event of a failure.

Best of luck in your travels my friend. I really hope you don't run into a problem. Myself I would spend the $50-70 bucks for new pivot shafts, replace the lower control arm bushings while I was at it, and have piece of mind it's gonna hold just like it was engineered to do.

thanks prop and i appreciate the concern. i know it was a patch and as such the farthest i go is about 10 mi. and it is all 30-35 mph speed zone. as soon as the new shop is finished it will be time to put them away up here and the coronet is first in the work shop for the proper fix. i didn't do the welding a buddy from down the road who is a welder did it. he was confident with the end result. thanks again :notworthy:

Hey no sweat buddy...Just would hate to see you or anyone get hurt or your beauty take a beating cause off a $60 pivot shaft.

Auto Transport Service
Back