• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plastic Re-chrome?

69charger

Local time
5:58 AM
Reaction score
anybody know of any paints or anything that gives a luster similar to the original Chromed plastic?

I redid my instrument panel over the weekend with chrome spray paint and it looks better than it did but its not as good as if I would have gotten it rechromed...its just so damn expensive to have it done!

I read a thread on another site awhile back where a guy used "Sally Hansen" nail polish. Chrome was the color and he said it was the closest he had ever come to vacuum plating. Of course, when I went searching for this particular nail polish, all I came across were funny looks. "No, it's for my wife, really..... :urkidding:

There is a vacuum plating service out in Washington state I believe that can rechrome plastic parts. I'll see what I can find out then post a link when/if I find anything.

You can go to ALSA on the web....they sell a product called "Killer Chrome"....go to the Killer Chrome sections and watch the videos.....

It's sprayed lightly over a high gloss black, and it looks like a mirror....they have featured entire cars at major shows painted with this stuff....Incredible.....

Gloss black, a light clearcoat, the Chrome spray, then clear to seal it....just like nickel chrome.

Can be expensive, especially if you use their 2 stage clear......BUT, you don't need it for dashes.......single stage clear spray is just fine.......you could do your whole dash for about $120. and have enough left over to chrome another 3 complete dashes, or do some other stuff.

At least check it out........quality stuff. :yes:

Yep, one of the European memevers over at DC.com used that ALSA stuff for his tail lights with amazing results.

There is a vacuum plating service out in Washington state I believe that can rechrome plastic parts. I'll see what I can find out then post a link when/if I find anything.

That business you speak of is GCAR (www.gcartrim.com). He is a very good friend of mine (Glenn) and yours truely actually named his business with him when he use to live down by me. You will never do business with a better person than Glenn.

pauls chrome will do it
they ain't cheap but you won't find better...

I think I'm gonna give that "Killer Chrome" stuff a run.

because I just feel funny about shipping off parts.

Hey 69..........Just FYI, you probably already know, BUT..........

If you order the kit and get the 2K clear, you can't reuse the can.......You can reuse the other stuff, but not the 2K's.........

Just want to be clear for any guys reading the post who might miss the fact at the ALSA site.............Reuse the bases, the chrome spray, and the lightning clear only.....the 2K's will set up in the can after you use some......one shot only. ;)

Auto Transport Service
Back