• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

play with steering

Snowbug778

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
howdy yall i had restored my steering column and changed an se wheel to a tuff wheel and when i put everything back in there is now an inch or so of play where the wheel moves freely but doesnt move the wheels, we checked my steering pump and there was a leak so we fixed it could that of been the issue and if it was why is it still doing it? i can drive it but its hard because i will have to correct every second

What shape is your steering coupler in? My Dodge pickup got real loose to steer, and it was fine after I repaired the coupler. Dorman made a kit for it.
Also, a worn out idler arm or tie rod end will cause steering play.

What shape is your steering coupler in? My Dodge pickup got real loose to steer, and it was fine after I repaired the coupler. Dorman made a kit for it.
Also, a worn out idler arm or tie rod end will cause steering play.
I think a square, let me see if i can find a picture. It looks like this

IMG_7288.png

By "shape", I meant CONDITION...
And YES, that is the part that I rebuilt on my truck. The parts inside can and do wear out.
Ohhh got ya! I think its in pretty good condition, i guess rhe way i can see for sure is if someone sits in the car and turns the wheel and have someone stand out and and see if its moving it or not, and go from there!

Ohhh got ya! I think its in pretty good condition, i guess rhe way i can see for sure is if someone sits in the car and turns the wheel and have someone stand out and and see if its moving it or not, and go from there!
Watch the coupler while somebody is turning the steering wheel with the engine off. If you see "slack" in the column shaft, that may be your problem. You can also look under the car and watch for slack or movement in the steering linkage joints.

Go
Watch the coupler while somebody is turning the steering wheel with the engine off. If you see "slack" in the column shaft, that may be your problem. You can also look under the car and watch for slack or movement in the steering linkage joints.
Got it

I just reach down hold the coupler with one hand and try and turn the shaft with the other hand.

Did you put the shoes inside the coupler the wrong way around? It's easy to get the orientation wrong and if you did there will be lots of play.

there was no play before the work was done or were you hoping the steering column rebuild would fix the play?

Did you put the shoes inside the coupler the wrong way around? It's easy to get the orientation wrong and if you did there will be lots of play.
Great question, i have zero clue which way we put them in we will take note of that when the new ones come, this. One was all beat up so we decided to buy a new one

Auto Transport Service
Back