• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Critique 511 Stroker Oil System

Jeremiah

Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
Well, my new engine is almost ready and I have been advised to upgrade the oil system. I would not mind changing over to an external oil line/swinging pickup but I really can't have a low hanging pan out here in the country where the car is driven. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions on the oil pan as far as brand, size, etc. Anyway, here goes:

511"

4.375 bore 400 block, aluminum main caps and studs
6.535" Rod, 2.220/.990
Diamond 1.32" CH -12.5cc reverse dome pistons, tool steel pin
Ching chong wing wong crank offset ground to 4.25" stroke, .2.200 rod journal from a Chrysler journal 4.150" crank.

Edelbrock Victor MW heads CNC ported by Hughes and cleaned up a some by me in the chamber and valve job.
Manley TI retainers and locks
ISKY 9999-RAD springs, [email protected]" / [email protected]" lift
B3R rocker shaft relocation / geometry correction kit.
Hughes 1.7 ratio rockers
Trend tapered 7/16" push rods

Jones custom roller cam, .740ish lift, [email protected]
Isky Red Zone lifters w/ EX-roll option, .180 intake offset due to offset intake rockers due to offset intake ports lol

HV oil pump
70-71 "HEMI" 6 qt. oil pan
3/8" pickup

Indy 400-2 intake cleaned up a bunch.

4150, 1050 cfm QFT Q-series carburetor

Monte Smith Big Shot N20 plate

It's all going in my red '66 Charger mated to a G Force GF5R 5-speed backed up by a Dana 60 with 3.54 gears.

Maybe we will make drag week in 2017 or something like that.

View attachment 300900
100_6316.jpg

charger looks nice. thats a lotta cam so it will rev. i'd run 7-8 quarts with something more than a 3/8" pick-up. something i've done before is use a deeper pan (you can add 1 1/2" to your existing pan and pick up close to 2 qts), put a 3/4" tube in the side for a pick-up and run a #12 hose to a milodon type pump cover. actually you can run the internal 3/8" pick-up in conjunction with an external for a poor mans dual line. this lets the rotors pull off sides like a dual line milodon. the most important thing to do is feed the pump. just doing the 1/2" pick-up will help. big pumps and 3/8" pick-ups don't make sense to me. i've built bunches of oil systems thru the years.

You'll bend that car all up with that monster and a stick, lol.

Can a 1/2" pickup be run with in a B block with that much stroke? Just asking.

Very nice Charger by the way.

Having been there before let me tell you it is very cheap insurance to put a dual feed swinging pickup on your engine. Make your pan as deep as you can, you can never get to much oil to that bad boy. I am speaking from experience, as I lost crankshafts on 2 engines before I switched to dual lines and pumps With that stroke you will have to go to external lines anyhow, as pickup boss has to be ground for clearance.

Very nice and strong sounding combo. Is that 12.5 comp you will be running ? Just wondering if you plan to drive it on the street and run pump gas ? On my 493 I went with the 1/2" pickup and drilled the oil passage to the pump and run a Moroso 7 qt pan. But your combo is stronger then mine and I dont race that much only once or twice a year lately. It should fly. Good luck , Ron

Can a 1/2" pickup be run with in a B block with that much stroke? Just asking.

Very nice Charger by the way.
with chevy steel rods you can get away with a bunch. a mopar alum rod, probably not.

Love your charger! I wish mine was that clean. What is her name? I'm run the hemi pan with the 3/8" pickup also. The problem I have and have read about, is with the HV mellings pump sucking the pan dry at high rpms. the oil can't drain back from the top of engine fast enough. For my car, this happens half way through 1st gear (727&2.76gears) With 6.5 gts in the pan its fine. With your engine and gears, you my uncover the pickup on launch. Just keep your eyes on the oil gauge. Don't trust the factory oil gauge(like I first did), it's response is way to slow!

You'll bend that car all up with that monster and a stick, lol.

It's an original 4-speed car so we have been working on it for a while. : )

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all for the comments and insight. It looks like a milodon cover, swinging pick up, ans road race pan are in order.

I had the #4 cam journal grooved for full time rocker oiling and installed .060 restrictors in each cylinder head.

It's a street strip deal so our original intent was to create somewhat of an endurance platform. Ron, the compression ratio is about 11.2 to 1 with the ported heads ans reverse dome pistons.

i wouldn't do the swinging pick-up. they need a deep pan with a bunch of oil to keep them covered. i always used a dragster static pick-up or made my own pick-up. do your home work on this! i don't think .060" restrictors are big enough. keep in mind that the only thing that cools the springs is oil and big springs get hot.

- - - Updated - - -

something that concerns me with alum heads is oil drainback. if you look carefully at the drainback holes in the head vs the block you'll see that the block will cover up about 1/3 of the passage. i chamfer and radius the drainback passages in the head and notch the block to fit.

Attachments

• 100_0344.jpg
    100_0344.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 279
Thank you for the advice. There will be lots of oil at the springs with full time rocker oiling and these rockers. FWIW we had some .120 and .080 restrictors in the last engine and I cut them back to .045 without issues. This is a good reason to run $500 valve springs IMO. They last a long time compared to the k950 models of yesterday.

I did address the block and cylinder head oil drain back areas as well as installed screen in the valley.

Something like your build I would use a similar set up as my hemi. Single line, milodon pump, swinging pick up with a 10 quart system. I run my hemi 7200, although it been to 7800 when I blew up the last 4 speed . Bearings are always mint when I inspect it. I'll post pics later

this is the set up on my hemi, charlies pan

this was last time i checked the bearings, prob around 2011. had about 5 years abuse (street/strip) on it at this point and one re-ring. I'll be pulling it down after i get my rr back together to see how its doing. those are Calico coated bearings, i recommend them for a serious build.

if you do stay with a internal set up, upgrade to 1/2 in, just like lewtot said. i run .060 restrictors in my wedge motors with full time oiling. they do just fine

My 2 cents. Do your measuring cause these external line systems were designed with a motor plate in mind. A rear exit oil line runs into the motor mount. And a front exit oil line may or may not interfere with a power steering pump. Do you have power steering? Look closely at your headers. Those can make things tight. You dont want an oil line up against a header tube. Dual line setup is that much more crowded. As for pickups. External systems can be had with 3 different pickups that I know of. 2 swinging and 1 static. The swinging pickup I like but can be hard to find is triangular in profile and has a large inlet screen. The other,much more common pickup,has a small square inlet screen. If you use this type consider removing the screen as it is a major restriction even in a single line setup. The static pickup is nice with a big screen. With external lines you can run a full lenght windage tray. But a full tray wont work with all pans. Check for fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
My system mirrors 68 HEMI GTS. Bearings have 300 passes w/o issue. I've found that 7 qts with this system is fine for track only. For street I'd probably add a few qts. At 7qts the level is a good 1.5"+ below the the stock pan level.
Doug

Everything you need to know has been posted.I will only add pre-filters in the pick-up lines and a non bypass oil filter that can flow what your oil pump puts out.Milodon advertises 19 GPM,I use 2 moroso filters that flow 16 GPM each.

- - - Updated - - -

For additional insurance,an accumulator is a 3 qt insurance policy and also works well as a pre-lube after the car sits all winter and you go to fire up in the spring,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

• ear-230312erl_w.jpg
    ear-230312erl_w.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 7.12.12 (2).jpg
    7.12.12 (2).jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 3.21.12 (56).JPG
    3.21.12 (56).JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 5.10.15 033.jpg
    5.10.15 033.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 255
I've run a high volume TRW pump with 3/8 pickup, 8 qt pan at 7000 rpm for many hundreds of runs. But I also ran a Milodon aluminum pump dual swinging pickup system for many, many hundreds of runs. Go with the Milodon system and the pan that fits your needs. More oil is better.

Auto Transport Service
Back