• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

plug wires

lorny

Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
66 318 cyl left 1-3-5-7 r bank 2-4-6-8 that i got
distributor cap is confusing , if anyone has a diagram that would be great

16AA56E8-CCE9-4298-9067-5852D85FD5D3.jpeg

Last edited:
SB firing order is Clockwise, above diagram is for big-block only..
This is yours:
Firing order.jpg

now i'm really confused my old wires 1and 8 wr at the back closest to fire wall
Welp...your best bet might be to re-time the engine then. Bring it back to #1 TDC on the compression stroke, and see where the rotor is pointing, that will be wire position #1.

now i'm really confused my old wires 1and 8 wr at the back closest to fire wall
It probably won't start? If that's the case, It's 180° off. Pull the distributor and turn it half a turn and put it back in.

The FSM is the best place to get something like that. You have one, right ?
no service manual yet, counter clock wise cap seems to be 1-8-6-5-4-3-7-2 (old wires on cap)
i'll check rotor tomorrow and see wich way its turning and i'll find #1

no service manual yet, counter clock wise cap seems to be 1-8-6-5-4-3-7-2 (old wires on cap)
i'll check rotor tomorrow and see wich way its turning and i'll find #1
Firing order is clockwise for your 318..

Firing order is clockwise for your 318..
wow what a mess, you think i would learn, my 55 crown distributor was 180* out and it ran so bad ,i almost had to push it home after driving it 200 miles from wr i bought it .
ok #1 TDC ,timing mark at 0, rotor is pointing at #5 on your photo, yes my car is clockwise.
Right now my #1 is at the fire wall and firing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 "YIKES"

wow what a mess, you think i would learn, my 55 crown distributor was 180* out and it ran so bad ,i almost had to push it home after driving it 200 miles from wr i bought it .
ok #1 TDC ,timing mark at 0, rotor is pointing at #5 on your photo, yes my car is clockwise.
Right now my #1 is at the fire wall and firing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 "YIKES"
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Let's not have 2 people with issues in the same thread. Let the OP get his figured out first. It's way too confusing.

Remove distributor hold down.
Lift up distributor.
Rotate your rotor 180*.
Reinstall distributor.
Put hold down on.
Put plug wires in correct location per diagram from above.
Should run if everything else is correct.
Matt B

I pull #1 and bump the engine over until the compression forces your finger out. Line up #1 on the balancer with the timing tab. Pull the cap and make sure the rotor points towards #1. If it doesn't you can turn the gear by backing it out with a screwdriver into the slot until you get it into position. Firing order is of course 18436572 going clockwise. Start #1 on the cap where the rotor points and plug the wires in accordingly. Cylinders 1,3,5 and 7 are on the drivers side and 2,4,6 and 8 are on the passenger side. Set like this the timing should be close to 0° advanced and will usually get you started. Use your timing light to adjust the timing to spec or 10+° before top dead center. (BTDC) I just noticed that some of the diagrams on the internet show the rotor pointing towards #2 (passenger side front) Boy that can screw you up. I posted this because I don't know how knowledgeable some of you are. This is how I do it.

Who's on 1st, Watts on second, I don't know who's on 3rd, No! Who's on 1st! Abbott & Costello

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 has been the firing order for ever. #1 is always at the front of the engine, drivers side. Wow.
No excuse for not having a service manual. The downloads are free. Here is a diagram to set the distributor and wire the cap to factory specs. Also a link to download a free service manual. It will be your best friend and answer most questions you will ever have.
It was used by the people at the dealer to service your car.
https://mymopar.com/service-manuals/

View attachment 1181419 View attachment 1181420

Attachments

• 318-340-DISTRIBUTOR-DRIVE-GEAR-ALIGNMENT.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 77
Auto Transport Service
Back