• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pocket camera

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:12 AM
Reaction score
Anyone got any recommendations for a simple to use point-and-shoot pocket camera with a halfway decent zoom lens?

With emphasis on easy to use and easy downloading of pictures onto the computer.

Canon makes a good point and shoot. Here's my old one.

IMG_20220213_105007947_HDR.jpg

I use a several-year-old Sony Cyber-Shot. Not very expensive, and the pictures have excellent quality. It even does video. Uploading can be done either by USB or remove the SD card and plug it in to the laptop.

Anyone got any recommendations for a simple to use point-and-shoot pocket camera with a halfway decent zoom lens?

With emphasis on easy to use and easy downloading of pictures onto the computer.
I just use my Phone. I just upgraded to a Iphone 13 and it takes some really bad *** pictures. As far as pocket cameras... I am surprised they still sell.

Apparently, there are plenty of cheap knockoffs of this type of camera around $45.

Look for longest optical zoom if zoom is your main criteria. They all have digital zoom but that introduces noise affecting picture quality.

As for the comment that phones are good enough, a dedicated camera's optics ate far better than any new phone camera. Thus, unmatched picture quality comes in stand alone camera.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-point-and-shoot-cameras

iPhones have remarkable cameras and video. Very easy to save photos, etc. and share via text, email, or here!
Point and shoots are going the way of the Dodo bird. IMO it will be more difficult uploading and downloading snapshots using one of them with cables, etc.
If you’re looking to get into digital photographer, that’s a whole new topic.

Look for longest optical zoom if zoom is your main criteria. They all have digital zoom but that introduces noise affecting picture quality.

As for the comment that phones are good enough, a dedicated camera's optics ate far better than any new phone camera. Thus, unmatched picture quality comes in stand alone camera.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-point-and-shoot-cameras
I do agree that dedicated Cameras take better pictures. But with the advancement in todays phone cameras they can make feature movies with an Iphone. 4k quality. But as far as zoom I believe they do lack in that area.

I see so many really crappy videos made of drag racing with phone Cameras. No zoom to follow the car, no closeups of anything of interest, shot with the phone at the wrong angle, etc. etc. etc.
I could do a better job with a forty year old camcorder. I have.
I use a Sony HD 9.2 Megs Handycam now. Under $100 if I remember right.

See post #3.
We buy Sony’s at garage sales for five and ten dollars. Love them, use them like disposables. They are scattered everywhere in the house and shop. The ones to look for use Zeiss lenses and say so on the front. They take great pictures.

Garage sales are good sources for pocket cameras. Why? Because they are cheap, and if you break one-and they break easily-it costs more to fix than the original price of the unit...IF parts are available.
Most phone cameras have a zoom function but many people don't know how to use them.
And holding the phone at the wrong angle isn't the fault of the phone. One who has no photography skills will do it with a camera.

Recommend a Leica C; excellent quality and a pretty good zoom/wide angle for a pocket camera. So good and useful that I havent used my SLR in 2 years...

I have a Nikon Coolpix AW100. This is the camera I carry hunting. I actually have 2. One went through the washer and dryer and would only work intermittently for about 6 months then it started working again full time. I like the action mode for getting pictures of fast flying pheasants.

I have 2 Nikon pockets, S9500 and a newer A900. The S9500 is old and I can only upload pictures from that camera. When I try to upload pics from the new camera it says too much info and can't do it.

I still use an old Pentax WG2 more than anything. It's taken a beating over the years but still does what I need it to. Haven't gone in the water with it lately as the seals have never been replaced. Camera cheap to replace if/when it dies.

One reason not to use your I phone out on the water below.
Picture is of Table Rock Lake from a while back. Notice the red circle.
upload_2022-2-13_12-42-49.png

That's approximately where my sister-in-law fumbled her new I-phone out of my boat, into the water with no flotation protection. As I recall the depth was around 16 feet. I didn't think to tag the spot on the finder GPS, not that it would help to recover it or even do her any good on a claim anyway. It took calls a few minutes, but we couldn't hear her ringtone at all. You see immediate depression set in when you tell someone that trying to find their phone in murky water that deep after you've gone 30 or so yards beyond the point just ain't gonna' happen.

I use my Samsung Galaxy phone now, and have done for everything for the last 10 years or so now. Previously I was using Sony Cyber-Shot digital cameras. Price has come down on them, but the quality is there. Easy to download pictures and video using either cable or plugging the SD card directly into a laptop/computer.

I just prefer the phone now as I can upload directly to site without fiddling about with formats, cables and re-sizing etc.

The best camera is the one that you have with you.

Auto Transport Service
Back