• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poconos Pa

steve from staten island

Local time
7:37 AM
Reaction score
Spent a weekend up there. We try and go once a year. My parents are interned in Moscow. Ive been visiting there since i was very young. My grandfather had a 52 Buick and i remember driving there in that car. Back then it took double the time it does today to get there.
We stayed mostly in the Monroe county area. My parents retired there and later on my grandparents had a home there as did my uncle. My sister in law still lives there.
The memories i have of being there are numerous and when i visit its a little like coming to a home away from home
Of course today its completely different from years ago and parts are very built up. Of course there are many rural areas remaining but its much different. Either way the wife was happy and it was good to say hello to mom and dad

its a nice place to visit
I don't think I could live there..

Nice place to be for sure, been skiing there for the last 30 years. It was hard for me to accept when we moved to NC I would not be able to visit like I use to. We lived twenty minutes from Tannersville, my son and me spent just about every afternoon at Camelback.
d938452c13b67589ce0b63f3e391df3e.jpg

Great wooded areas to vist during the summer hiking, camping, swimming.
Steve, have you visited Boulder Field, just outside of the Poconos?
5s_boulder_filed-2-edited-sharpen-reduced-Pocono_Autumn_Foliage-10-08-2008_588-986x748.jpg

Nice place to be for sure, been skiing there for the last 30 years. It was hard for me to accept when we moved to NC I would not be able to visit like I use to. We lived twenty minutes from Tannersville, my son and me spent just about every afternoon at Camelback.
View attachment 617513
Great wooded areas to vist during the summer hiking, camping, swimming.
Steve, have you visited Boulder Field, just outside of the Poconos?
View attachment 617519
No i was never there. My parents had a place in Goldsboro. They loved it there and so did i. Its not the same as it once was, then again what is.

Moscow was my Mom's hometown, still retains the small town vibe for the most part. I'm about 30 mi north of the "Poconos" proper, but yes it has changed significantly. I still cling to the rural area I call home, and yes Steve it's still a beautiful place.

Moscow was my Mom's hometown, still retains the small town vibe for the most part. I'm about 30 mi north of the "Poconos" proper, but yes it has changed significantly. I still cling to the rural area I call home, and yes Steve it's still a beautiful place.
I was hoping you would post. I just could'nt remember who it was who lived there, the older i get the more i cant remember. My parents are in St Catherine's. Thanks for posting, much appreciated

Long Pond is cool, they have a great track :bananadance:

We were up in Tannersville for Easter, my wife has family up there. Beautiful areas but they way we went was across using 78 once we got outside of Lehigh Valley I could not believe how much trash lined the highway just tons of trash. Then we drove a few miles up and there was a guy pulled over and was peeing along the highway not discreetly for all to see in broad daylight aimed at the passers by. My 13 year old could not believe it...
Nice places there but times are changing up there for sure... We camped at Lake Wallenpaupack for years but it became undesirable and have been going to Raystown Lake for about 10 years now...

We were up in Tannersville for Easter, my wife has family up there. Beautiful areas but they way we went was across using 78 once we got outside of Lehigh Valley I could not believe how much trash lined the highway just tons of trash. Then we drove a few miles up and there was a guy pulled over and was peeing along the highway not discreetly for all to see in broad daylight aimed at the passers by. My 13 year old could not believe it...
Nice places there but times are changing up there for sure... We camped at Lake Wallenpaupack for years but it became undesirable and have been going to Raystown Lake for about 10 years now...
Yes back in the day that area was a beautiful place to visit but it's not what it use to be. There are still some areas you can go to and see the old charm but you have to look for it. We use to live across the river in Jersey just off 80 near the Water Gap. We would visit Bushkill Falls, Water Gap on the PA side and a few other small parks in the area. My son and me spent most of our time just skiing, it was drive in have fun and get out of there.

I delivered to Sky Top Lodge in the 70's. Also remember Split Rock. The trash on 78 is reported to be from the New Yorkers escaping on weekends. I grew up 90 miles from NYC. Like the Poconos, the big city influence was unpleasant. The 90 mile proximity makes it a bedroom community or weekend playground for those without small town values and manners.

We had lunch in the Tannersville inn. 611 is full of strip malls and not even close to what it use to be as I'm sure you know. My wife likes to go shopping at the Crossings and i see some rift raft in there also. My personal opinion is a lot of what you and i are seeing started some years back. My sister in law still lives in Pocono Country place. When she bought there close to 30 years ago it was beautiful now its the ghetto of the Poconos.

I delivered to Sky Top Lodge in the 70's. Also remember Split Rock. The trash on 78 is reported to be from the New Yorkers escaping on weekends. I grew up 90 miles from NYC. Like the Poconos, the big city influence was unpleasant. The 90 mile proximity makes it a bedroom community or weekend playground for those without small town values and manners.
My grandfather had a small place down the back road from Sky Top. In past years we spent a weekend a year there. It is very expensive but has old world appeal. Jackets required for the gentleman at dinner. A classy place for sure

Yes back in the day that area was a beautiful place to visit but it's not what it use to be. There are still some areas you can go to and see the old charm but you have to look for it. We use to live across the river in Jersey just off 80 near the Water Gap. We would visit Bushkill Falls, Water Gap on the PA side and a few other small parks in the area. My son and me spent most of our time just skiing, it was drive in have fun and get out of there.
I like that part of Jersey. Its like you forget your in Jersey. We took that way home and of course stoped for hot dogs at Johnny's

We had lunch in the Tannersville inn. 611 is full of strip malls and not even close to what it use to be as I'm sure you know. My wife likes to go shopping at the Crossings and i see some rift raft in there also. My personal opinion is a lot of what you and i are seeing started some years back. My sister in law still lives in Pocono Country place. When she bought there close to 30 years ago it was beautiful now its the ghetto of the Poconos.

That is exactly why we stopped camping up there big difference in the last decade...My wife and I stayed a few times at the Settlers Inn in Hawley many years back in the fall and enjoyed it but New York City people came in and took over those places too and took away the tranquility of it.

Well I'm one of those NYC people LOl but there not the ones I'm talking about. I do get what your talking about. As i told you my family has been going up there for decades. Id say shortly after WW2.

I like that part of Jersey. Its like you forget your in Jersey. We took that way home and of course stoped for hot dogs at Johnny's
Yes that part of Jersey does not look or feel like Jersey.
John the son of the family was my neighbor. I would always mess with him because they did not sell sauerkraut for the dogs.

Edit: now that I moved you come through my old neck of the woods. I lived 5 minutes from the Hot Dog Johnny's. I told you Steve my door was always open. Lol.

Last edited:
Yes that part of Jersey does not look or feel like Jersey.
John the son of the family was my neighbor. I would always mess with him because they did not sell sauerkraut for the dogs.

Edit: now that I moved you come through my old neck of the woods. I lived 5 minutes from the Hot Dog Johnny's. I told you Steve my door was always open. Lol.
Small world LOL. I took the route home many many times.

Yep, Skytop is still a classy place- very nice.
If you still want a 1950-1960's Pocono experience, try Woodloch Resort. It started as the quintessential Poconos Lodge on a lake, and It is still owned by the original family. They are one of the few who have transitioned into the modern age but still know what customer service is all about. World class chefs, spa, PGA golf course, and pamper the client. It attracts a very affluent crowd, celebrities everywhere.
Bring your wife to the Spa Steve, she will never forget it, but bring your wallet.
And no, I don't work there, but Son-in-law does.

Yep, Skytop is still a classy place- very nice.
If you still want a 1950-1960's Pocono experience, try Woodloch Resort. It started as the quintessential Poconos Lodge on a lake, and It is still owned by the original family. They are one of the few who have transitioned into the modern age but still know what customer service is all about. World class chefs, spa, PGA golf course, and pamper the client. It attracts a very affluent crowd, celebrities everywhere.
Bring your wife to the Spa Steve, she will never forget it, but bring your wallet.
And no, I don't work there, but Son-in-law does.
Thanks! We stayed this time in the Cresent lodge in Paradise. We had a cabin and the place was very nice. We stayed in Sky Top but its expensive and last time we didn't care for something they pulled on us. I have a lot of memories up there. It was great when my folks were alive and living in Goldsboro. Life changes and i guess you just roll along with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back