• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pole Saws

JR_Charger

Local time
3:43 PM
Reaction score
I'm in the market for one. I thought I'd go with the DeWalt 20V MAX* XR Pole Saw since I already have the battery, but the reviews on DeWalt's site are terrible. Kind of hard to believe, I have a few of their products and they've all been great. Perhaps Sun Joe hired a bot army to spam DeWalt's comment section :lol:

Echo
D918D878-B5EB-493D-8896-5D329F211971.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the Dewalt, and it works great, never had an issue with it

I have all yellow tools, also. I've also been looking at their pole-saw. Having a hard time "pulling the trigger", you might say.

I'm in the market for one. I thought I'd go with the DeWalt 20V MAX* XR Pole Saw since I already have the battery, but the reviews on DeWalt's site are terrible. Kind of hard to believe, I have a few of their products and they've all been great. Perhaps Sun Joe hired a bot army to spam DeWalt's comment section :lol:
Thats what I have. Has worked out well for me.

I have an echo pole saw with all different attachments. It’s one of the best tools I ever purchased while you are not supposed to put more than one extension I have cut branches out using 2 extensions with out an issue..

I have a DeWalt. It works fine for my needs. I mostly use it to trim the saw palmettos along my driveway. It's easier than using a machete and I can reach in with the saw vs getting up close and personal with the machete. However, it gets heavy after a while, and that's without the extension - maybe because it's more of a horizontal cut. It's also not as powerful as I'd like and jams on the palmetto fronds sometimes. Still faster than using a manual pole saw or machete.

20210416_094938.jpg

They don't call it saw palmetto for nothing!
20210416_095841.jpg

Last edited:
The Stihl extendable is very well balanced. It cuts like you are right up there in the tree with a chainsaw lol. Its probably THE most expensive option, and it will still wear you out, but you'll have every tree trimmed 15' up or better in no time. The HT131 is ~$750.

The Stihl extendable is very well balanced. It cuts like you are right up there in the tree with a chainsaw lol. Its probably THE most expensive option, and it will still wear you out, but you'll have every tree trimmed 15' up or better in no time. The HT131 is ~$750.
I have the Stihl non-extendable. I decided when I bought that I just didn't want to handle the extra weight and my needs didn't require it. Last year I went electric with my weed eater and backpack blower and after researching, went with Ego brand. I have to say I'm impressed. I live on 6.6 acres that is all field and grass, and in the NW that stuff really grows! In other words, I work them hard and I have not been disappointed in performance and battery length.

I don't know that I'd go electric for a chainsaw even though the Stihl gas pole saw is not very powerful. I guess I'm old school on that. If I did, I's take a look at Ego's offerings.

I've got the attachment for my Stihl weed-wacker. Works good, but the reach isn't what I need all the time, but works good for clearance cutting. Gas powered, No electric for me...

Dealt has gone downhill in QC for the last decade, and is getting to the same point as "lifetime warranty" auto parts. it will probably work, but you might also draw the short straw.

I bought Ryobi one+ stuff back when the tools were still blue/yellow. Those tools are amazing, they had nicad battery. Lithium battery tools are bright green, and not as well built, but still decent. The newer lithium battery fits into my old tools, so i just do that. 18v. I have an old drill, circle saw, sawzall in the dark blue, and a drill, nail gun(brad nail/trim) and calk gun(never thought I would embrace a cordless caulk gun) in the light green. The nail gun is very well built, the other two are homeowner grade. The old dark blue tools are contractor grade+.

Here is the saw I bought:
RYOBI ONE+ HP 18V Brushless Whisper Series Cordless Battery 8 in. Pole Saw (Tool Only) P2508BTL - The Home Depot
Course I paid a bit less for it 5 years ago.

For like 40 bucks more you can get it with a hand held 8" saw to go with it as a package
For 30 bucks more you can get just the saw, but with the new 40 volt battery.

To extend it, you just add another screw in fiberglass composite pole. No sliding poles or twist locks. You unscrew the end, and screw the next section in.
It is very, very light, and so far been plenty durable for my 2 acre property. Chainsaw on a stick is so much easier then saw with a rope or saw and a ladder.
I do recall the original chain stretched on first use enough after about 25 cuts I had to stop and re-tension it. Was fine after that for 3 years of pruning. Bought an oregon chain after, didn;t bother to sharpen.

i just figured back then if Dewalt was going overseas then I have no loyalty to them anymore(have a bunch of old corded stuff from early 1990's) and at the time, Milwaukee hadn;t gotten their head out of their rear yet on cordless so I went with what was a smart system with compatible batteries from overseas instead of pretending the yellow stuff was going to be the same as the old stuff anymore. Almost 20 years later and I have zero complaints.

I'd rather go electric since I don't think I'll use a pole saw enough to keep a gas motor up. The Ryobi is tempting, but the same price as the DeWalt without battery, and it's 18 volts vs 20 volts. So I end up paying more for a tool with 2 less volts, since I have to buy the Ryobi battery as well.

I've heard DeWalt has gone down over the years, but so far everything I've brought from them has been good.

Just did this bush today with my echo that I have the chainsaw for. Two extensions to get to the center with my adjustable head hedger using my JD with forks on the loader working off a pallet. Its bowed at that length and heavy. It’s exhausting when you are done pruning this bush…

8CC1D422-05CC-409B-97E7-8C10A44AD33E.jpeg

You got to love the spring knock-back.

That sight of that retaining wall is causing me a little trauma. :eek:

Since most of my tools are red, I got and am happy with my Milwaukee pole saw. I haven't compared it to others but it is a little on the heavy side.

Auto Transport Service
Back