• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polishing SS Trimwork

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
I known there have been threads posted here before, but I am failing to find any on polishing stainless trimwork. My project will soon be at that point, so I'm doing some research on it. IF there is anyone in WNY, or near by, that is accomplished at this, let me know, as I could use some coaching on this, Thanks...

The investment in materials to do it yourself hardly makes it worthwhile unless you're planning to do multiple cars. A friend has all the gear so I gave it a shot - the results are "satisfactory". Polishing is an artform AND it can also be DANGEROUS. As cautious as I was, on a couple occasions I caught an end and the part was ripped from my hands and flung across the shop! And minor scratches just seem to pop up overnight in pieces you thought wre perfect. Since I'm not doing a resto and the most minor of scratches bothers me, I'm leaning towards redoing everything in a "brushed" finish.

Less than 50 bucks converted my bench grinder c/w compound from Princess Auto. 'tis what I've done all my work on cleaning up the cars, other than the Bee where my painter sent it all out before he'd asked me if that was what I wanted.

And what Stan said, make damn sure the wheel rotation isn't pointed at anything you value!!

I agree with Stanton. There is an investment in setting up a polishing bench machine, a stand, pads, compounds, sandpaper, etc. I also use leather gloves a shop apron and a face shield. It is do-able yourself (I’m an obvious example) but it is tedious, takes a bit of a perfectionist approach and intense concentration when machine compounding and polishing parts. After I’ve spent an hour of polishing I’m worn out from the intense concentration, maintaining a death grip on the pieces, concentrating constantly on feeding them into the buffer such that it doesn’t catch, get ripped out of my hands and flung at me or across the drive, and my neck is sore from maintaining all this concentration while standing over the buffer. Any dings that need repair are doable in most cases but take a lot of care in massaging the stiff stainless steel out with a pattern of careful taps with a sharp drift, filing, coarse sanding, more taps, more filing, more sanding, etc and then final block sanding with increasingly finer grits until you are down to the compounding stage. It is rewarding to do it yourself but you need to sort of have a perfectionist touch and be ever-mindful of safety when working around that 8000 rpm or whatever buffing wheel.

And to add ... good luck finding small quantities of the finer grit sandpaper - you'll want to go as fine *** 2000 before you even thing of polishing!

You want a GOOD full-face sheild. You want masks. You should probably consider a leather welding jacket for upper body protection. And most of all, you want the thickest leather welding gloves you can find.

Always polish so the work, if grabbed, is pulled away from ya.

I use Mechanic’s leather gloves. I will say, it’s sometimes difficult to get them off when they get HOT!

Take your time. Start with the sanding and go to 3000 grit! Then polish. I use the red to start, switch to black then end up with green or white. To get the residue off, acetone works great.

Let be positive here. With what you will pay someone else to do trim you can spend some time learning. Be smart about it. Don’t feed the wheel or the wheel will take your part from you. Practice on trim you don’t care about. You will get better quickly. You can do wonders with a small investment in supplies.

I started 30 years ago, now people want me to do their trim.

A little off topic but since Mopars use a lot of aluminum. . . . I did all the aluminum and SS inside and out on a 427, 63 Galaxie. Took me quite awhile as I had not worked with aluminum before but this car belonged to a good friend. And a 63 Galaxie has a lot of trim. A lot of it is thin and soft to where it picks up pits from road rash. And a lot of the interior aluminum window surrounds was extremely pitted. The only thing we could figure was it was a corrosive effect from tobacco smoke and moisture. A lot of that pitting can’t be removed as it’s too deep and removal would destroy the contours of the surface and in some cases endanger going clear through the metal. And dent and crease removal took more care than with SS as it was to easy to move the metal too much. I actually hound pop cycle sticks whittled to various points worked well on aluminum in many cases. All in all, I can do aluminum but think I would rather do SS.

477A3FFF-C88A-44AB-8CD9-477FECB066DC.jpeg
7A3D074E-4BF2-4EEC-870B-7A160E49D126.jpeg
135B8CC4-C008-474A-AEC8-EEBCE4389C1D.jpeg

I will admit, I’ve screwed up some pieces thinking “I can fix it” or “ what hell, I’ll give it a shot”! Pitted aluminum is hard to fix, but if it’s a thicker piece, my sander gets a work out!

20220426_181355.jpg
I polished all the exterior stainless trim on my 67 and it turned out really nice. I was fortunate that my trim was straight and dent-free though it did have some bad scratches, mostly from me not storing it properly when I took it off the car. Yes, it was a lot of work - I bet I spent at least 100 hrs on it, but I didn't think it was particularly difficult. I was a lot younger so it would take me longer now I'm sure lol.

I bought a buffing setup from Eastwood and converted my bench grinder cause I didn't know of any other option, certainly not that I could afford, but to do it myself.

I took the car to a judged Mopar show run by a local club not long after I got it back together and the trim judge complimented me on the how good it looked so I guess I did ok.

IMG_20201001_062600588.jpg
IMG_20201003_112509592.jpg

This is a before and after of the stainless trim over the windshield for a Chrysler TC. The first shows the damage from the convertible top hooks smacking into it and weatherstrip rubbing over the years. Just out of curiosity I got a buffing wheel that I put on my bench grinder to try my hand at polishing trim. A little hammer and dolly work on the dent followed by sanding and polishing and this is the result. It's a learning curve for sure, and I do admit to having parts flying across the garage more than once! It may not be 'show quality' but I'm pretty pleased with it and proud to say I did it myself:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back