• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polishing Stainless Trim

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to be polishing some stainless trim soon, new task for me. I know there are various threads on our site. Can anyone recommend any good sources for doing it properly, maybe with some tutorial video ?
I have NO experience at this, as I'm more of a "rough carpenter", or wood butcher. This popped up locally yesterday, so I picked it up...
0527221720.jpg
0527221720a.jpg

I wet sand them. Depending if the scratch won't buff out. Only use the least aggressive sandpaper needed to do the job. The dust thrown off is not the best thing to breathe. Wear safety glasses. Thick gloves. Buff on the bottom of the wheel, so it pulls away from you. Have a good grip on the part. Watch for the little barbs on the part you're polishing. Best to practice on a scrap piece.

I agree with wet sanding that's why it takes a lot of water and you have to keep wiping it down to get rid of the grit.
Depending on the condition of the piece, I start with the least aggressive and if that's not getting enough out, I go to more aggressive grits. I don't look for perfect but do not want highly polished spider webbing, road wear scratches, I want them out. If I have to I bang out dents, deep scratches, etc.

It takes patience and you'll discover how hard stainless is.

Be careful not to burn it by being too aggressive with files.

Getting file marks out can be a bitch.

Without water it takes longer.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back