• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polishing trim

Darius

Local time
8:15 AM
Reaction score
Any body polish their own trim, you know, the chromed and/ or plated trim strips around the hood, at the drip rail, on the rear valance, etc???
if so, what compounds did you use and how did you go about it? I was thinking a buffing wheel in my bench grinder and some sort of polishing compound.
Did you use different compounds/procedures for the stainless parts(window trim etc)?

A friend of mine has done it before having learned how to polish in his family's jewelry stores. He told me once a regular bench grinder wasn't fast enough to do it right. I guess that doesn't me you CAN'T do it on a bench grinder though. Probably just take much longer.

Don't forget. There was a lot of that old trim that was "bright dipped". You "polish" it, and you'll be removing the dip. They charge by the INCH to bright dip trim, so it gets expensive

If you really want them to shine, you'll have to sand them first, then polish them. The grille trim on my 69 Charger was kind of beat up and dented so it looked like crap. I took each piece and sanded them with 400, 1000, and 1500 grit paper, then used a dremel tool and Wenol to polish them up. They look brand new. The grille pieces were a little more difficult to do because they are annodized so all the coating has to be removed before proceeding to polish them.
Stainless trim, I would imagine would be a little easier...might not even need to sand them.

Auto Transport Service
Back