• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poor mans porto-power

5wndwcpe

Huge Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
So like any in any full tilt boogie restoration, you're bound to find some things that indicate whether you have a "Monday built" car or a "Wednesday built" car on your hands. I think this convertible was a "Monday, 4 a.m., before the Schlitz wore off" built car. My first clue was the original trunk pan was welded 1/4" too high on one side giving me fits with the replacement drop offs. Ok, no big deal - cut it loose, weld it in where it's supposed to be and fill in the holes in the wheelwells.

Next up, I fit the trunk lid and find it's sticking out from the quarter extension by 5/16". :eek: WTF ?

It's then I realize this corner of the car is pushed in somewhat. There's no visible damage (dents or otherwise) so I don't know if it was tweaked from the git go or suffered from a telephone pole-ectomy, but this was my ultra-low budget solution to reintroduce this car to geometry.

Works like a charm. :eusa_shifty:
P1010044.jpgP1010045.jpg

Oh and I hate the fact that you can't edit the title of a thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
When there's a will there's a way, and you proved it, way to go.

So like any in any full tilt boogie restoration, you're bound to find some things that indicate whether you have a "Monday built" car or a "Wednesday built" car on your hands. I think this convertible was a "Monday, 4 a.m., before the Schlitz wore off" built car. My first clue was the original trunk pan was welded 1/4" too high on one side giving me fits with the replacement drop offs. Ok, no big deal - cut it loose, weld it in where it's supposed to be and fill in the holes in the wheelwells.

Next up, I fit the trunk lid and find it's sticking out from the quarter extension by 5/16". :eek: WTF ?

It's then I realize this corner of the car is pushed in somewhat. There's no visible damage (dents or otherwise) so I don't know if it was tweaked from the git go or suffered from a telephone pole-ectomy, but this was my ultra-low budget solution to reintroduce this car to geometry.

Works like a charm. :eusa_shifty:
View attachment 108203View attachment 108204

Oh and I hate the fact that you can't edit the title of a thread.

you can edit the title , just once you hit edit , you then have to hit go advanced , but i got your back and fixed it for you :)

Used one of those small floor jacks to do a similar job once. Nothing like home grown engineering!

Good thinking outta the box. I've had to use a ratchet-type cargo bar to push some metal out.

Looks like someones been busy. How about Carlisle this year?

Hey Ken,
Yep. I'll be there - not sure if I'll be vending or babysitting a vehicle in the car corral (or both). I am registered in the Radisson again though so it'll be beers by the pool for sure !

Auto Transport Service
Back