• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POR 15 Topcoat - ?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:17 PM
Reaction score
Bought a pint of this stuff to paint a few brackets, braces, etc since it’s rare to get a day warm enough to rattle can them right now and I’m trying to not do too much painting in the garage. I’ve used a little POR 15 over the years and while not a lot, it usually flowed out smooth, glossy and hard and did the job OK. This crap is about as thick as latex paint, doesn’t brush well at all and doesn’t flow out smooth at all. I think it’s a different formulation. Need to avoid this stuff.

it only sticks to blasted metal and rust.....I've seen it peel off in sheets

you're far better off with aerosol etching primer and a quality black spray bomb

My experience with POR15 hasn’t been good. I too found it difficult to get a good coat on, and it only stuck on rust. Everywhere else I can peel it off in big sheets like tape. For rusted areas I actually had way better results wth Rustoleum primer. Thinned a bit it worked great, and other paints stuck to it way better then they did POR15. But it doesn’t work on bare, shiney metal, either.

Ya when we did the rearend in the nova, even though it was still thick it ended up looking like it was powder coated even using a $.99 brush.
Of course when I did my Dana it turned out/looks like crap and didnt flow out.
If I ever do it again msy try Silver Bullet or Shark Skin

I used to use por-15 but got away from it on my last project. It was like water the last time i bought and like the other guys have said it will peel off any good metal, only seems to stick to rust. I used Eastwood's Platinum Rust Encapsulator ( silver brush on stuff) where rust couldn't be mechanically removed. Time will tell if it's any better.

Toss that crap in the garbage. It’s the only place it belongs.

Just to be clear - this is not the POR 15 that’s been around for decades. This is some different crap that I guess doesn’t require overcoating it with something to prevent oxidizing. Thus the product name Topcoat.

Bought a pint of this stuff to paint a few brackets, braces, etc since it’s rare to get a day warm enough to rattle can them right now and I’m trying to not do too much painting in the garage. I’ve used a little POR 15 over the years and while not a lot, it usually flowed out smooth, glossy and hard and did the job OK. This crap is about as thick as latex paint, doesn’t brush well at all and doesn’t flow out smooth at all. I think it’s a different formulation. Need to avoid this stuff.
The top coat is to paint over the rust preventive coating. I never use that. I just did my K frame with the rust preventive coating and it's slick as any powder coating.
IMG_20220105_122957447.jpg

The trick to using por is to spray all your clean metal with saltwater. Once it's nice and rusty, coat it. :drinks:

I like to paint with these products. Catalyzed urethane enamel. May be more durable than a rattle can.

Painting over rust is just a shortcut.

46119487-E31D-4E8C-98B9-C93E56609D9F.jpeg

Last edited:
I like to paint with these products. Catalyzed urethane enamel. May be more durable than a rattle can.

View attachment 1225610

in my opinion, the only reason to NOT use epoxy primer is

A) painting over rust, or untreated rust (not that I trust "treated" rust); although I would trust epoxy over rust more than any of the "miracle products"

B) you don't want to shell out for a "quantity" of epoxy and activator; because you only need a small amount

Last edited:
The top coat is to paint over the rust preventive coating. I never use that. I just did my K frame with the rust preventive coating and it's slick as any powder coating. View attachment 1225567

That’s what I remember from the original POR 15 I used some years ago. Recommend sticking with that if it seems right for the job. The Topcoat stuff is do-do. It is available in a rattle can but that defeats why I was attempting to use it.

I used POR-15 all the time years ago, there are step in prepping before painting. It's really made to go over rust, I don't do rust, little less paint over it. It does peel and I was good at getting a nice smooth look with it, brushed on. If you grind it and use their metal cleaner, then wash it good, it works. I'm done with it, if you get it on you, it's there for weeks.

I will never use any POR product again. Blast off the rust, epoxy prime, and paint. Do it right the first time.

You want the one that says RUST not Top Coat. Top Coat is worthless over rust!

por15.JPG

I had my share of problems with POR 15. Tried it a couple of times, gave it a chance, didn't work. I now use Rust Bullet. A little pricey but works. That's all I use now. A well ventilated area is suggested. Etch primer and paint is a good way to go too.

Not discounting the advice others have given. But I would give customer service a call....they have been invaluable for me in the past.... they will send out additional product and a solution if need be. Good luck, Lefty71

Auto Transport Service
Back