• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Positive battery cable too short for mint starter

68rt

Local time
7:43 AM
Reaction score
Just installed a 40 source mint starter in my '68 Coronet R/T and the cable seem to be too short. When I did the restoration, I installed a restoration positive battery cable I think from Evans or Mega Parts. The only way I get it to fit is to remove the cable from the firewall, fender well and frame rail brackets. Now that look like crap. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks for any help. NJR

Check again because I thought the same thing on my mini starter. Check the route of your cable. It cant be that short.

I've got Dakota mini starter on my '67 w 383. Replaced same cable w reproduction one. IIRC they asked what engine, due to length. W headers also, cable fit perfect.

Stupid question I know, but you do have the positive post of the battery to the rear of the car?

Last edited:
On my 440, 71 Cuda, battery positive is to the rear of the car. My 74 Duster with 318 has + to the rear. Hopefully that's your problem. When I put a Gen 2 Hemi in the car I had to spring for the big bucks + hemi cable, the 440 cable just didn't get it done.

I had the same problem when I converted to the mini starter. I think it was 10” to short so I purchased a 12” 0 gauge wire and bolted both original cables together them added heat shrink tubing. I also made an extension for the other wire to the starter solenoid. Works great now! I will mention that I am using the original 1964 factory positive cable attached in its original position.

Yes, fairly common to have the lengthen the big block cable to run the mini starter and retain the factory cable routing, my experience is about 4-6”. For ’71-72 B-bodies and E-bodies, running a correct small block cable on big blocks will give this added length.

Yes, the battery is in correctly. The original starter terminal are on the drivers side of the starter low, and the new mini starter the terminals are on the top up against the block, and that creates a longer run for the cable. 72 roadrunner gtx is correct, the cable is 4 to 6 inches too short.

Auto Transport Service
Back