• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible 512 Short block

Mike67

Local time
9:21 PM
Reaction score
So I have a lead on a partial build 512 but am having trouble getting some answers and wanted to know what you all thought.
400 block, " all machine work is complete", crank/bearings have been set to a Source ultralight crank, has new pistons, rings ect.
What gets me is that it needs rods and final assembly, guy won't answer why he doesn't have rods...wouldnt you need the rods to clearance the bolts and block on a 512?
Pics do show a freshly decked block, pistons, cam are all NIB....when asked for a copy of the receipt for what was done told me to contact the builder...? What gives

Some block may need the clearance, some don’t. You won’t k ow for sure till it’s mocked up. You can get the rods from 440SOURCE and piston pins. Double check the slide of the pins to the rods, mine was good, others need to be honed a scoosh.
The lightened crank is cool, they charge extra for that. If it’s a good price, offer a bit less cause you’ll need to get the rods.

Some block may need the clearance, some don’t. You won’t k ow for sure till it’s mocked up. You can get the rods from 440SOURCE and piston pins. Double check the slide of the pins to the rods, mine was good, others need to be honed a scoosh.
The lightened crank is cool, they charge extra for that. If it’s a good price, offer a bit less cause you’ll need to get the rods.
He's wanting 2k, said he has 1900 in machine work, built by Reher Morrison

X2!

Get it and don’t look back.

Ya Thats what I was thinking...it's only 3hrs away to boot.
The next problem I would have would be to MW or sell my RPM heads & buy some 270s... I guess Thats a good problem to have though...just expensive!!!
Guy had a brand new set of Victors for 1100 I missed out on by a few minutes....I think someone here actually got them.
I need to start unloading some of my stuff I won't use to pay for it all...lol!!! $$$$$$$

Seem to be some deals out there... Problem is that they usually come in groups and I can't afford to buy em all... I build my bank account up and sit on it a while and I don't see anything....until I've already started dipping into it...haven't figured that one out just yet....:)

Damn, such a dilemma, lol!

RPM heads work just fine on a 512 for a street car. I wouldn't upgrade to MW ports unless you are racing.

Rpm heads are what I use on mine and work great but I think I would like the 240's too.

My 500" with a "small" .500 cam RPM heads made 500 HP on the dyno. It was a street build. My 512 with MW Indy heads .600 cam was 690 HP on the same dyno. All depends on what your use is Trick flow heads sure look cool.

We've run stock stroke 440's with stock Eddy heads in the 10's @3700lbs. I'd be looking for used Eddy's. If buying new I'd be all over the Trick flows.
Doug

RPM heads work just fine on a 512 for a street car. I wouldn't upgrade to MW ports unless you are racing.
I have performer RPMs on the car right now and it's that's it my car's runs in the tens that's not fast enough so and I do street race

I guess I underestimated the capabilities of my Eddy RPMs. I thought they were fairly limited espiecially trying to to feed a large displacement motor with out extensive work.; not saying they aren't good and wouldn't work just be the limiting factor in a 500+ stroker...
There so many of you that have already done this real world, so I appreciate you sharing all the info!!!!

I guess I underestimated the capabilities of my Eddy RPMs. I thought they were fairly limited espiecially trying to to feed a large displacement motor with out extensive work.; not saying they aren't good and wouldn't work just be the limiting factor in a 500+ stroker...
There so many of you that have already done this real world, so I appreciate you sharing all the info!!!!
We ran the RPM heads on a 496 street stroker. Those slightly ported RPM heads were flowing 309 cfm @ .600" lift. With a Lunati 60333 solid roller, 249/255 @ .050, .585"/.600" lift, 10.3:1 compression, using different intake manifolds, it made between 620-642 lb-ft and 626-656 horsepower, and all that horsepower before 6,000 rpm.

Well executed RPM heads can make over 780 horsepower.

Just depends what you are trying to do. If this is a street car build then don't get caught up in the peak number game. Street cars spend 90% of their time at part throttle. If it is a dedicated race car then design the engine to run in the RPM band, but a street engine really needs a bunch of torque down low and if you give up some peak power then who really cares.

When you build a street car you need to protect the mid-range since you use it every time you drive. Giving away mid-range torque for peak power is trading away something that you need, for something that you rarely use.

As IQ says, correctly ported RPM heads can get you into the 700 hp range. These days it is easier (and cheaper) to buy Trick Flow 240 heads than to pay someone to fully port the RPM heads, but since you already have the heads it might make sense to send them out for some cleanup.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it! Lots of experience that I dont have, yall potentially saved me a bunch of money!!!!!

Why aren’t you on the road to pick this thing up? Get in the truck and get there ASAP!

My 500" EDE RPM setup was a great street setup. The EDE heads wanted more cam than the .500 Comp than I had in order to make real power. I put in an antique Cam Dynamics 565/585 & picked up a bunch. The 400 block stroker with any of the aftermarket heads will satisfy you.

Auto Transport Service
Back