• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible new tranny

Mark1972

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
I've got a line on a freshly rebuilt 727 that's ready to sit behind a small block(which I currently have). The torque converter comes with it. If I go and speak with the guy, what are some things I should be looking at? Apparently since rebuilding it's never been back in a car. My questions right now are:

Who rebuilt it?
How many 727's had they done before?(overall experience)
What is it out of?(year, part numbers, etc)
Was it rebuilt to stock and what quality level if parts were used?
Not sure what else to ask. Price asking is $500. Any other questions would be helpful. I currently have a 904 that is having some issues. It's getting looked at today. I'm just thinking ahead if they tell me my 904 is going to be a pricey repair. Thanks all.

For only $500 if it's fresh, you can only get so finicky I would say. Cost wise a plain rebuild kit is over $100 (assuming every hard part inside was good), a nice core is ~$200, and that only leaves $200 for labor, overhead, etc. so it's cheap if it's good. I think they are more like $1,300 from the major suppliers. It should be clean, very clean. If it's not, chances are it was done by some yay-who in a big hurry, and you don't want that. Most important I would say, is make sure it fits your application, meaning non-lockup for a small block, with a long tailshaft, and a big converter, assuming that's what you are really looking for. You don't want to end up with someones old racing trans with a Griner brake and a J converter.
(if you do end up with a racing trans, just send it my way and ill give you the $500. :rolleyes:) HTH, Lefty71

Our local guy sells 727's for $800 + core no converter.The numbers are on the shifter side pain rail. You can look up the number over on My Mopar site and find out what it came from.

Also look at the converter see if its balanced right for your engine ...360 has a big weight to balance it and that won`t work w a 318 and vice versa. If you have a floor shift some 727s have a different tailshaft that don't have the 2 bolt mount. Later 727s in the 70's used lock up torque converters. You may already know but 727s are longer..shorter drive shaft is needed.

Rebuild the 904 yourself. It's not rocket science. Get a manual, read it, ask us questions, and put another notch in your "mechanical belt"!
Mike

There is nothing wrong with sticking with a 904. With a shift kit they can handle a beefy small block.. the smaller internals make them quick to shift and take less hp. 727/904s are one of the easiest transmissions to overhaul and you can be a novice still do a good job. For special tools a slap hammer to pull out the front pump and a drill to open up some passages as directed by shift kit instructions. There really is no rocket science involved...especially if you are rebuilding one that was functioning and just needs freshening...now if you have a tranny that is doing unusual stuff...then I would hesitate to tell you rebuild yourself without someone with some experience.

Auto Transport Service
Back