• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post photos of Bumper Chrome work?

greycharger

Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
Looking in the Forums, people recommend or bash chrome shops, but there are no photos, good or bad. Since quality of workmanship is subjective, it would be instructive if people posted photos of chroming they had done and liked, or didn't like. Prices would be helpful too.

Photos will be difficult to show reflective finishes in their true quality, good or bad. I show-plate all my stuff....but most people can't tell the difference. If it's shiny, it's great... is the general concensus. For most stuff and people....it's probably true. I don't really look at other people's stuff that closely [that's annoying to people]. I do it for me....and probably aren't getting a good value ratio.

My bumpers have ranged from 600-1000 apiece. They're pretty nice...but pictures won't show the difference from a repop.

Last edited:
Because of EPA regulations, there are very few chrome plating companies left anywhere. The chemicals used are not human friendly. If you are looking for recommendations, check with the top restoration shops and go to car shows and talk to the car owners. Remember that the quality of any work, be it plating or painting relies on the condition of the part to be refinished. A perfect part gets a more perfect refinish. A part that is pitted or damaged will not probably end up with the best result.
https://www.top20sites.com/top-chrome-bumper-sites

Photos will be difficult to show reflective finishes in their true quality, good or bad. I show-plate all my stuff....but most people can't tell the difference. If it's shiny, it's great... is the general concensus. For most stuff and people....it's probably true. I don't really look at other people's stuff that closely that's annoying to people]. I do it for me....and probably aren't getting a good value ratio.
If you don't have a photo or don't know how to take a picture on a sunny day with blue sky, then don't. I just read people's opinions, but saw no examples. These are for a Tiger, an example of a chrome photo, rechromed by an outfit in Denver that no longer exists. Nice work in my opinion, I wish they were still in business.

P1014270.jpg

Last edited:
Tri-City Plating, in Tennessee. Very Good work, and VG prices also. Had my '63 Bumpers done and very happy with them. I can post a pic when it's time to mount them, as they are wrapped up & stored in my basement. I also have a set of bumper guards for my Challenger, and I may be able to get at those sooner...

Sioux City Chrome Neb./Ia.
IMG_20170219_112307343_HDR.jpg

They fixed a couple dents, resquared the holes, and put show chrome finish on it. I was happy with their work and not much more than repops.

Sioux City Chrome Neb./Ia.
View attachment 723709
They fixed a couple dents, resquared the holes, and put show chrome finish on it. I was happy with their work and not much more than repops.

That looks good. I saw a Coronet bumper they did and it was nice, but it was done years ago, so it was only $300. They are within Speedee delivery range for me, about $15 one way.

I think it was about 425 out the door. 850 for the pair. IIRC

Tri-City Plating, in Tennessee. Very Good work, and VG prices also. Had my '63 Bumpers done and very happy with them. I can post a pic when it's time to mount them, as they are wrapped up & stored in my basement. I also have a set of bumper guards for my Challenger, and I may be able to get at those sooner...

I used Tri-City Plating as well and I was happy with the results.

Chroming is just like painting. Most of the work is in the preparation beforehand. I provided really nice cores with almost no issues, and I am very happy with the results. If your bumper is beat up, then you need to have someone spend time ($$$) to get it straight and nice. But people want cheap, so the time is seldom spent to get the bumper really straight and nice, and you will get crappy results.
Yes, the chroming matters too, but I believe most of the issues are with prep.
IMG_2964.JPG

There are different types of chrome. Show chrome is nicer but not as durable for an everyday car. I’ve had both types done and when they are side by side you can see a difference. I had bumpers done at M and P for $500 each and some done at Paul’s for $1,000 each. Paul’s were much nicer. Depends on what you want.

Auto Transport Service
Back