• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Posting a build thread

Chris Gal

Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
I'm starting a build and I'm not finding the instructions to get a build thread going and to just keep adding to it. Can anyone direct me in the right direction please?
Thanks!

No real instructions. Find the forum you want and post a new thread like you did here. As you progress you'll simply reply or post within the thread you started just like anyone posting in a thread.

Yep. I know.

Point was there's nothing special about the projects and build forum. It's the same as any other thread you would start here.

Well ----

There is a blog system available for the FBBO software. That might not seem like much, but I was thinking about how I could adapt is and modify it so that it could be a resto / build system.

The idea is that you would have your own "blog" and could add to it anytime. Each time you do something new it would be a new "blog" entry --

I'm not sure I'm explaining it correctly - I can see it clearly though, and it 'might' work.

Well ----

There is a blog system available for the FBBO software. That might not seem like much, but I was thinking about how I could adapt is and modify it so that it could be a resto / build system.

The idea is that you would have your own "blog" and could add to it anytime. Each time you do something new it would be a new "blog" entry --

I'm not sure I'm explaining it correctly - I can see it clearly though, and it 'might' work.
Ya I get what you are saying, I’m familiar with blogs. Would those of us that have current build threads be able to transfer our current threads to the new blog concept? Another thing I was wondering if it could be done is video uploads from a mobile device without having to have a YouTube account and upload from there. Say click a tab in the reply box that says upload photo/video and we can select from our library on our device. A lot of guys don’t have YouTube accounts, I do and have uploaded videos for members before it’s not an issue but I’m sure a lot of guys would like that feature.

Would those of us that have current build threads be able to transfer our current threads to the new blog concept?

I believe so, yes. You might want to go back and organize a bit, but yes.

Another thing I was wondering if it could be done is video uploads from a mobile device without having to have a YouTube account and upload from there.

"Possible" The reason we don't allow that now is simple -- storage space and ease of sharing. If you uploaded a video here, you couldn't share just the video like you can with youtube. And long term, videos would suck up a TON of storage space for the site.

If the blog framework archives per date (month), maybe that can be adjusted to archive for build portion as applies (dash, metalwork, fasteners, etc)? Although builds aren't neat and tidy and done in order, and not everyone knows how to store, manipulate, or organize photos/files.

Would a reply comment be nested under that particular post entry, or entire blog?
The biggest encumbrance on a build thread now is trying to find something within 62 pages of posts, but at least it adheres to KISS.

Each 'blog' would have a list of individual entries. Each entry would have its own comments.

So, you would make entries, ideally based on project tasks. So in the image below, you see Easy Baked Pancake Muffins and Breakfast Enchilada Overnight Bake --- those are individual blog entries. So imagine instead those are "Installing the Exhaust" and "Installing New Transmission" ---

So the rebuild story would be broken down into blog entries, and all entries would be listed under your build blog. The best thing is all comments would be specific to a particular blog entry, so things could stay a little better on topic. (see below how each entry shows # of comments and # of views as well as the date of the entry)

Untitled.jpg

I believe so, yes. You might want to go back and organize a bit, but yes.

"Possible" The reason we don't allow that now is simple -- storage space and ease of sharing. If you uploaded a video here, you couldn't share just the video like you can with youtube. And long term, videos would suck up a TON of storage space for the site.
Ya, I didn’t even think of the storage that would require.

Each 'blog' would have a list of individual entries. Each entry would have its own comments.

So, you would make entries, ideally based on project tasks. So in the image below, you see Easy Baked Pancake Muffins and Breakfast Enchilada Overnight Bake --- those are individual blog entries. So imagine instead those are "Installing the Exhaust" and "Installing New Transmission" ---

So the rebuild story would be broken down into blog entries, and all entries would be listed under your build blog. The best thing is all comments would be specific to a particular blog entry, so things could stay a little better on topic. (see below how each entry shows # of comments and # of views as well as the date of the entry)

View attachment 520069
I think you’re on to something with that concept.

You have a pretty good group of guys here, but there will be that few that just do whatever like you said

If the blog framework archives per date (month), maybe that can be adjusted to archive for build portion as applies (dash, metalwork, fasteners, etc)? Although builds aren't neat and tidy and done in order, and not everyone knows how to store, manipulate, or organize photos/files.

Would a reply comment be nested under that particular post entry, or entire blog?
The biggest encumbrance on a build thread now is trying to find something within 62 pages of posts, but at least it adheres to KISS.
I get what your saying but build threads are a progression from beginning to end and redo's....A blog feature that Joey is referring to is a much easier feature than having individual "tabs" that the OP has to fill....

Realistically, the build threads and their progression is real world and shouldn't be manipulated to fit someone else....it's their build....bookmark the pages if you want a reference.....

Curious though, since your critical on how build threads run, Wheres yours?

I get what your saying but build threads are a progression from beginning to end and redo's....A blog feature that Joey is referring to is a much easier feature than having individual "tabs" that the OP has to fill....

Realistically, the build threads and their progression is real world and shouldn't be manipulated to fit someone else....it's their build....bookmark the pages if you want a reference.....

Curious though, since your critical on how build threads run, Wheres yours?
So Mr Disagree May we see your build thread link?

Or do you think us members should change to fit your format?

Straight up NO ONE tells me how to format my build thread....

Ok ok - lets not turn this into a personal thing here. That wont help this process.

Auto Transport Service
Back