• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

powder coat suspension components?

big66440

Local time
1:27 PM
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the front suspension on my project and I was wondering if powder coating the K frame,and lower control arms would cause any warping when in the oven? I live in CA and the best chassis paint eastwood carries is illegal here,they're not even allowed to ship it to a CA zip code.

Normally the powders cure at 200°C (390°F) for 10 minutes, or so says Wikipedia. That won't warp your parts.

Nope your good. Mostly worry about Aluminum and/or thinner metals

get in touch with Cudachick1968 over on FABO. She can answer all your powdercoat questions and does AWESOME work.

Hey Doug, thanks for the kind words! (Your check is in the mail ;-) LOL!) I'm on FBBO too, just not nearly as often as I'm on FABO.

gregs70, powders cure at various temperatures / durations depending on the type of powder you're using and the thickness of the metal you're applying it to, but you should know that ten minutes isn't long enough to do much of anything.

Aluminum won't melt until it reaches 1220 F (660 C). It's one of my favorite metals to work on and usually produces fantastic results.

big66, suspension and brake parts are a regular thing around here and you can see quite a few examples of upper/lower control arms, etc., on my website Gallery. There isn't much in this thread in the way of suspension stuff but it'll give you a quick little overview of some of the stuff I work on around here every day and what my customers tend to think about it.

FBBO members also receive a 10% labor discount across the board, and if you're a FABO Gold Member too you'll receive 20% off instead. :-D Feel free to give me a call if I can help you out.

Thanks again for the head's up Doug!

Cool,thank you guys for all the info seems like I got the answers and even a connection to get this done right.

Auto Transport Service
Back