• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Powder Coating ...

INCREDIBLE work! Have never seen multicolour powder coating done nearly as well as those valve covers.
One question tho...is that a big furry shopdog I see in post 80? :)

INCREDIBLE work! Have never seen multicolour powder coating done nearly as well as those valve covers.
One question tho...is that a big furry shopdog I see in post 80? :)

Thank you for the generous compliment Guy!

Billy has a Doberman but the furry leg you glimpsed was my bodywork assistant Speck. She loves chasing my riffler files.

speck-helping-me-with-bodywork.jpg

The Stig, her brother, is usually first on the scene to give new arrivals a proper Cat Scan.

20220510_131535.jpg

We were both highly impressed with the first Art Morrison 9". The welds were grovel-worthy.

20220428_174635.jpg

20220509_130344.jpg

Here's some new Powder ****!

20220708_153819.jpg

20220708_153841.jpg

... and something completely different, an antique cast iron door stop named Pupp-O! He had a pretty "ruff" life.
20220419_161327.jpg

20220510_144212.jpg

Now restored in 6 colors, he should live for a few more generations.
20220630_140707.jpg

New Powder **** for one of my first and best customers from FABO back in 2008!

20220721_144037.jpg

20220721_144147.jpg

It was definitely a masking challenge with the layout being different on both sides, but knowing Eric is happy is the best reward I could ask for. I hope to get a video when it's installed and running! (He also has a set of matching Mopar Performance valve covers and a custom B5/silver MSD box to go along with it.)

It was a fun and interesting one for sure, my first ever custom fan. If I remember right he wanted it to resemble a Corsair airplane. Here's his idea on arrival.

20220404_130858.jpg

20220404_130913.jpg

Thanks for looking! I wouldn't be here without YOU!

Today's Powder **** belongs to FABO/FBBO Member @Stephen Hotz!
He entrusted me with a very decent pair of small block Weiand valve covers with NO parameters at all -- "Do whatever you want!" -- so I asked a few questions about the car and came up with something distinctive we can both be proud of.

From arrival to Powder ****: One was bare and fairly oxidized but metal damage was very minimal.

20220727_154432-jpg.jpg

20220727_154510-jpg.jpg

One of the letters needed some attention, but that traditional Weiand texture was so primo on this set that I had to USE IT.
20220727_161938-jpg.jpg

Here they are now! His Corporate Blue has been injected with steroids, the metallic silver will tie in with his intake, and the bodies were finished in the wrinkle black he mentioned liking.

20220811_171434-jpg.jpg

20220811_171512-jpg.jpg

20220811_171607-jpg.jpg

Straight up as always, I nearly peed my pants when I dragged one out to the sunlight. That new candy blue is off the charts!

20220806_143413-jpg.jpg

I went with an Old School treatment on the logos in metallic gold against flat black.

20220811_171202-jpg.jpg

20220811_171628-jpg.jpg

Stephen, thank you for the opportunity to work with you again! I'm delighted that you're happy with the result. I truly appreciate your business!

Get those parts in line for the 2023 show / shine / race season! My backlog is clearing and I have a few spots available.

Thanks for your support FBBO! I wouldn't be here without YOU!

Today's Powder **** belongs to FABO/FBBO Member @Stephen Hotz!
He entrusted me with a very decent pair of small block Weiand valve covers with NO parameters at all -- "Do whatever you want!" -- so I asked a few questions about the car and came up with something distinctive we can both be proud of.

From arrival to Powder ****: One was bare and fairly oxidized but metal damage was very minimal.

View attachment 1327644

View attachment 1327645

One of the letters needed some attention, but that traditional Weiand texture was so primo on this set that I had to USE IT.
View attachment 1327646

Here they are now! His Corporate Blue has been injected with steroids, the metallic silver will tie in with his intake, and the bodies were finished in the wrinkle black he mentioned liking.

View attachment 1327647

View attachment 1327648

View attachment 1327649

Straight up as always, I nearly peed my pants when I dragged one out to the sunlight. That new candy blue is off the charts!

View attachment 1327650
I went with an Old School treatment on the logos in metallic gold against flat black.

View attachment 1327651

View attachment 1327652

Stephen, thank you for the opportunity to work with you again! I'm delighted that you're happy with the result. I truly appreciate your business!

Get those parts in line for the 2023 show / shine / race season! My backlog is clearing and I have a few spots available.

Thanks for your support FBBO! I wouldn't be here without YOU!
WOW .... just WOW!
You ain't kiddin', that blue really pops. Striking!

That's some quality craftsmanship..
I have a question for you, that you may
be able to answer here instead of me
posting a question on your website.
I have a tube chassis that was powder-
coated in Indiana.
During the installation of the truck bed,
the top rear tube was nicked/gouged.
How would such damage be repaired?
(the gouge is not down to bare metal).
Thanks in advance for your time.
20190405_102308.jpg

That's some quality craftsmanship..
I have a question for you, that you may
be able to answer here instead of me
posting a question on your website.
I have a tube chassis that was powder-
coated in Indiana.
During the installation of the truck bed,
the top rear tube was nicked/gouged.
How would such damage be repaired?
(the gouge is not down to bare metal).
Thanks in advance for your time.
View attachment 1327915

Oh, bummer on the chip! Accidents happen ... and it's good it didn't expose bare metal, but chipping can be a sign of inadequate prep (i.e., a spot that wasn't blasted or cleaned well afterwards), overcuring or undercuring so keep an eye on it for similar impact issues elsewhere.

Aside from a cost-prohibitive stripping and complete reshoot, you can't really "touch up" powder coating with much success. It DOES make a great base for paint (assuming it was properly prepped and cured) so perhaps some high build primer can be feathered in to fill the gouge recess. I am not and will never claim to be a painter so talk with a qualified one and see if there are better options.

I do know a lot of governing bodies are now discouraging powder on frames (and even some roll cages/bars) based on tech's inability to inspect the welds so I'd at least check with yours before throwing more money at that chassis.

Your story is one of the main reasons I stayed with a 7-foot oven versus a huge one. The bigger the part, the more thorough the quality control has to be ... and I'm much more concerned about craftsmanship than I am about a big pay day.

Please keep me posted on what you do with the repair! I wish I was more help ...

I have a powder coat company that I use for my automotive equipment, and they do a great job. I would never use them for my car projects. The work you do is amazing

I have a powder coat company that I use for my automotive equipment, and they do a great job. I would never use them for my car projects. The work you do is amazing
Thank you Scott! That means a lot coming from you! I've spied on you from time to time and am familiar with your high standards. Keeping craftsmanship alive is paramount.

Oh, bummer on the chip! Accidents happen ... and it's good it didn't expose bare metal, but chipping can be a sign of inadequate prep (i.e., a spot that wasn't blasted or cleaned well afterwards), overcuring or undercuring so keep an eye on it for similar impact issues elsewhere.

Aside from a cost-prohibitive stripping and complete reshoot, you can't really "touch up" powder coating with much success. It DOES make a great base for paint (assuming it was properly prepped and cured) so perhaps some high build primer can be feathered in to fill the gouge recess. I am not and will never claim to be a painter so talk with a qualified one and see if there are better options.

I do know a lot of governing bodies are now discouraging powder on frames (and even some roll cages/bars) based on tech's inability to inspect the welds so I'd at least check with yours before throwing more money at that chassis.

Your story is one of the main reasons I stayed with a 7-foot oven versus a huge one. The bigger the part, the more thorough the quality control has to be ... and I'm much more concerned about craftsmanship than I am about a big pay day.

Please keep me posted on what you do with the repair! I wish I was more help ...
Too late...
The truck is close to registration/inspection,
as it's almost completely assembled. I guess
I'm going to have cross my fingers on weld
inspection.
20190620_165813.jpg
20211227_152836.jpg

My latest project was interrupted by a new local guy, an Honored Army Veteran with a big ride coming up on the 10th. He presented a pile of mostly chromed pot metal Harley parts along with some fabulous Biltwell billet for his 2017 in hopes I could turn it all gloss black.

He picked it up yesterday and was delighted!! Finished early and way under my estimate (pot metal is every coater's nightmare), he even left a tip!

20220831_171613.jpg

20220901_183047.jpg
20220901_183015.jpg

Thanks for all the calls and emails!! It seems you guys are getting ready for the Fall Teardown Season early this year!

Flat panels are always a challenge in any color but gloss black infuriatingly proves nothing is ever truly flat. It had some ragged bolt holes and deep scratches from fabrication too (but that's what I'm for as his metal finisher).

20220815_161019.jpg

20220819_195824.jpg

Steve was kind enough to send me a pic last night. He never mentioned the accessories so it was a neat surprise seeing it in final mock up. A follow up will be on the way once it's installed on his Duster. It's pretty cool for a radiator cover!

IMG_8361.jpg

Thanks for spending a little of your holiday weekend with me! You guys are my inspiration!

Auto Transport Service
Back