• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power brake booster for 64 Fury

nitrojunkie

Local time
12:14 AM
Reaction score
Ive been helping my son on his 64 Fury. He rebuilt the brakes and got a new master cylinder but cant find a power brake booster. All the local parts stores (Advance, Autozone, Oreillys and Napa) say it is not available. Where can one be found? Has anyone else ran into this problem?

My experience was they don't exist new or remanufactured.
64 Fury wagon, factory power brakes. Tried one for a 65, no go, not even close.
Sent my original to Booster Dewey.

Booster Dewey help??

Hello,

I had the same problem in 2016 with my 64 Fury 318ci. I bought from RockAuto a 65 Fury booster: https://www.rockauto.com/fr/moreinfo.php?pk=29689&cc=1440894&jsn=1
Exactly the same mounting holes at engine side. But I did make a little rod at driver side: the brake pedal was lower than the original.
Fabrice

frein2.jpg

Did it originally have power brakes? If it did, do like Matthon said and send the original to Booster Dewey. If not, I think you need more than just the booster. Think the firewall plate and brake pedal are different manual to power brakes. Hopefully someone will confirm this but that is what I remember. Or do like Fabrice did and "make it work".

I bought one from Summit for my '63 - a universal booster for around $70 as the one that came with the conversion kit was defective. The brackets are adjustable so no new holes were needed. Car didn't have power brakes so no issues trying to work with the original linkage setup. The SSBC setup is basically GM. I machined a new rod, much better than was in the kit and could still work off the manual brake hole in the pedal (upper hole). Had to make sure I had the booster rod to MC adjustment correct that took a bit of trial & error.

Think the firewall plate and brake pedal are different manual to power brakes.
True.
Also, just an fyi, I bought a booster for a 65 from summit and it was completely different from my 64.
These older boosters are discontinued.
The rockauto booster is a rebuild service, not a new booster.
I have heard that you don't get back the booster you sent, in one case the person didn't get the correct rod back and had a heck of a time finding the correct one.

Booster Dewey.

There should be two holes on the pedal upper - manual, thought the lower hole accepted a bell crank link.

Thanks for all the info everyone! The car is an original power brake car. We put a later year b body booster on it with original master cylinder but the brake pedal is super hard and no brakes.??? Dont know why. We used the original booster as core exchange. Big mistake, now we have no booster to rebuild and no brakes on the car. Maybe someone out there has a rebuildable 64 booster that they will turn loose of? We need to get this thing going.Help!

Auto Transport Service
Back