Power Brake Booster Install..

Joel Talka

Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

More questions... I'm looking to convert this car (my 66 Coronet 440) to power brakes. Previously discs were installed up front keeping drums in the rear. I have the booster/Master Cylinder installed and am looking to plumb the unit. I did buy some pre-formed lines but they need to be extended in order to mate to the proportioning valve. The unit I am working with is from Classic Performance Products and for a disc/ drum or disc/disc set up.

Couple of questions..
1 - The proportioning valve has two small connection ports to the rear (fire wall side) and one larger port to the front (radiator side)... Which is front and which is rear?? Th CPP documentation is not clear..
2 - Plumbing the front, should there be a single line to a "T" splitting fluid left and right or should both front lines connect to the proportioning valve?

When I got the car each front brake was plumbed directly to the proportioning valve. I have no idea if that was correct or not..all I know is that it took lots of pedal pressure to stop the car.

Thanks again,

Joel

IMG_6489.jpeg
IMG_6488.jpeg

Gus chiggins

Local time
Reaction score
Hi,

More questions... I'm looking to convert this car (my 66 Coronet 440) to power brakes. Previously discs were installed up front keeping drums in the rear. I have the booster/Master Cylinder installed and am looking to plumb the unit. I did buy some pre-formed lines but they need to be extended in order to mate to the proportioning valve. The unit I am working with is from Classic Performance Products and for a disc/ drum or disc/disc set up.

Couple of questions..
1 - The proportioning valve has two small connection ports to the rear (fire wall side) and one larger port to the front (radiator side)... Which is front and which is rear?? Th CPP documentation is not clear..
2 - Plumbing the front, should there be a single line to a "T" splitting fluid left and right or should both front lines connect to the proportioning valve?

When I got the car each front brake was plumbed directly to the proportioning valve. I have no idea if that was correct or not..all I know is that it took lots of pedal pressure to stop the car.

Thanks again,

Joel

View attachment 1274472 View attachment 1274473
I'm no expert, but that looks like a gm set up, usually on mopar master cylinders, the lines coming from the MC plumb into the distribution block that is fastened to the left front frame rail.

Joel Talka

Local time
Reaction score
The two fitting are each plumbed to a front wheel, and the single is for the rear.
That's what I thought but wanted to be sure... As I recall the fluid reservoirs are sometimes different sizes, larger one for the front but on this set up they appear the same. Next trick will be to extent the set of stock lines I bought and get decent routing away from everything else in that area. Thanks for all your help! Joel

R/T Boy 67

Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
The rear port on the master cyl. is for the front brakes, and it looks to me from your pictures, that the rear port is plumbed into the combination valve on the same end as the two outlets. If I am seeing it right, then it is plumbed properly.